Bad luck keeps on coming

Help Support CattleToday:

My experience with insurance companies is they want a Vet to do an autopsy on them and identify the animal to make sure it is the one they insured.

Ken
You are correct. I have written a ton of equine mortality insurance, and yes, a vet has to certify cause of death. Same thing with cattle. If it weren't so, people would just call and say "my cow died", after they slaughtered her. Or sold her. Granted, people insure horses worth 5 figures and up, and if you have one that valuable, you are going to have a vet there when it is sick or injured anyway. I doiwnloaded a sample policy that one of my carriers issues for cattle. Looking over the form, it reads exactly like an equine mortality policy does. When you receive a policy there is always a cover letter explaining what to do in the event of a claim. I asked my underwriter to email me that document too. @Down in Dixie , did you have a policy for that bull, or one that covers the herd?

I only had a policy to cover the bull. Wish they would have said to get an autopsy before they would pay out. Guess I'm going to have to wait and see.

I only had a policy to cover the bull. Wish they would have said to get an autopsy before they would pay out. Guess I'm going to have to wait and see.
If you read your policy after you got it, there was a section that told what to do at claim time. Usually it is titled "How to file a claim". Do you know what carrier issued the policy?

Well I got the word yesterday that the insurance isn't going to pay out. Says he didn't die in one of the 25 ways that will pay out. They are sending me all the paperwork. Going to hope to find something I can use to overturn it but it's not looking good.

Well I got the word yesterday that the insurance isn't going to pay out. Says he didn't die in one of the 25 ways that will pay out. They are sending me all the paperwork. Going to hope to find something I can use to overturn it but it's not looking good.
Well of course... Automatic denial of coverage is how insurance is being done. I'm surprised home owners insurance still covers fires because they have excluded just about everything else it seems.

I would like to see what the 25 ways are.

There is a reason when you go into the cities where the insurance companies' headquarters are, and they have the tallest, best building there. Had some wind damage on a barn recently and they figured it all the way to the nails, no extra. I thought dead was dead.

Im just curious. I have insurance against damage done if the cattle might get out but none on the cattle themselves.
The only livestock I have covered was the bull because the 800 mile ride home he had to take and the cost of him. My talk with my insurance agent about coverage on the whole herd didn't sound like a good deal. I would almost have to have 3-4 cattle lost to get a check that would be worth my time.

The only livestock I have covered was the bull because the 800 mile ride home he had to take and the cost of him. My talk with my insurance agent about coverage on the whole herd didn't sound like a good deal. I would almost have to have 3-4 cattle lost to get a check that would be worth my time.
I understand that. I have insured bulls in the past against lightning only. Of course lost cows and calves but not a bull.

Sudden and accidental tearing apart? Like, of body parts? Collision might have been an option if a vet would have said he had an impact injury. That's tough…

Latest posts