Australian bush fires

Help Support CattleToday:

It's terrible Redgully. What does the rainman forecast?
We were talking about it yesterday. You guys aren't only fighting fire like we know it here but have to do with fire whirls, firenadoes and supercell bushfire thunderstorms.

Forecast is bleak at this point, seems one heat wave after another. There is talk the monsoons might be firing up but a worst case scenario would be a cyclone where the wind comes before the rain and truely stuffs everything. Very scary times ahead for all on the east coast.

Too early. Summer has barely started. No one can foretell what is ahead but the chances of killing these before fire conditions get *worse*! is basically null. I'm in Taranaki NZ and there's been smoke drifting over from non-local fires intermittently for over a month already.

regolith said:
Too early. Summer has barely started. No one can foretell what is ahead but the chances of killing these before fire conditions get *worse*! is basically null. I'm in Taranaki NZ and there's been smoke drifting over from non-local fires intermittently for over a month already.

Are you far from that volcano that went up?

Redgully said:
regolith said:

Are you far from that volcano that went up?

A long way. Taranaki is practically a 'peninsula' of farmland circling a massive sleeping volcano halfway down the North Island. White Island is an active volcano off the coast of the North East part of the North Island. We get earthquakes seated in Taranaki but we're not really in the main earthquake zone either, when I farmed over near Feilding you could feel little ones pretty much every day if you were sitting directly on the ground.

It's a curious thing that when I read a book about the "Black Saturday" fires in Aussie some of the people who lost houses were keen to rebuild with rammed earth. But in NZ such a house would be considered too risky because of the regular earthquakes.

edit: there have been tourist trips to White Island for as long as I've been in NZ, over twenty years now, but I was unaware that the boats were actually landing people on the island, as over that time it has settled down significantly. From what I've read that was very normal behaviour for that volcano, and unfortunate that there were people there at the time.

Our thoughts are with Aussie, and hope that some positive changes come out of this disaster.

That really puts it into perspective.. wow... Nothing other than cooperative weather can help much at all at this point, hope you get some!
I saw something that said the Australian gov't had only spent like 17 million on fighting fires?
Here's our 2017 season. 650 million bucks spent (I dont' think we spend in an effective manner)
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/about-bcws/wildfire-history/remembering-2017

Latest posts