Central Texas Fires

Help Support CattleToday:

Otha

Reaction score
Currently 38,000 acre fire in eastland county and northern comanche county. We heard carbon almost completely burned up and quit a few building in ranger on fire. 3 other fires in this part of the world too. Still 20-30 mph winds.
Any tips on helping the cattle if it comes to that? Do we cut the fence or open the gate and run them out on the road? There's no way we can get them pened and hauled off in the dark.

Currently 38,000 acre fire in eastland county and northern comanche county. We heard carbon almost completely burned up and quit a few building in ranger on fire. 3 other fires in this part of the world too. Still 20-30 mph winds.
Any tips on helping the cattle if it comes to that? Do we cut the fence or open the gate and run them out on the road? There's no way we can get them pened and hauled off in the dark.
I was on a fire near Eastland in 2018 when it jumped I-20. About all you can do is to have a well grazed or bish hogged area they can go to.

I would be careful about cutting fences. And turning them out on public roads... just sayin
Wouldn't that be a better option than letting them burn up? Seems any that you can get back would be ahead. I'm not talking about turning them out of the highway, just some dirt roads. But I do know there were cattle running up and down highway 6 in carbon last night. Saw lots of half-top trailers with horses in them going 90 down the road headed to do something with their cattle.

Wouldn't that be a better option than letting them burn up? Seems any that you can get back would be ahead. I'm not talking about turning them out of the highway, just some dirt roads. But I do know there were cattle running up and down highway 6 in carbon last night. Saw lots of half-top trailers with horses in them going 90 down the road headed to do something with their cattle.
I said I would be careful. Didn't say I wouldn't . Just I would sure think about options and consequences. There's gonna be lots of people running around and evacuation going on. Not saying I wouldn't but I would be careful. Letting them out and loosing some would be better than letting them all burn up. Someone getting hurt by me cutting the fence would be worse than letting them burn up.

I said I would be careful. Didn't say I wouldn't . Just I would sure think about options and consequences. There's gonna be lots of people running around and evacuation going on. Not saying I wouldn't but I would be careful. Letting them out and loosing some would be better than letting them all burn up. Someone getting hurt by me cutting the fence would be worse than letting them burn up.
I see what you're saying. It looks like I won't have to make the decision but many may north of here.

A set of pens or trap that is mostly dirt. Starting shredding circles around it as far out as possible as low to the ground a possible. If you can disk circles around it do that too. Any water or sprinklers or can flood or wet things down might help.

Any thing to keep the flame height down and fire as far away as possible.

Smoke and heat may still get them but not much else you can do.

With 20-30mph it is going to jump some pretty large breaks but if you can get the fame height low it should pass quick if it's the head.

Kenny Thomas my daughter lost both the 107 and the 139 night before last. Most of her cattle were saved. She is disbursing the entire beef master herd. She will retain the super baldy herd (only 48 three year olds) and move them to the place near Breckinridge.

Desdemona was spared and she has hay there.

This drought needs to end.

Kenny Thomas my daughter lost both the 107 and the 139 night before last. Most of her cattle were saved. She is disbursing the entire beef master herd. She will retain the super baldy herd (only 48 three year olds) and move them to the place near Breckinridge.

Desdemona was spared and she has hay there.

This drought needs to end.
So sorry to hear that. In 2006 I seen a whole small community that had burned near Abilene. Cows, cars, anything and everything in its way. Very sad

Last edited:
I don't think there were very many successful fire breaks that first day. The wind was 40 mph. People just had to leave, no time for most of them to do anything. It's still burning in rising star area and kokomo from what I understand. It's hard to get reliable news today. The first day facebook was very helpful but it quickly became full of people giving false info and people form 60 or more miles away asking if they needed to evacuate.

It's been extremely dry going in to spring. I'm not sure I remember a winter this dry. The saving grace is no 100 degree days evaporating the stock tanks. Our humidity has been extremely low. Then those winds that were mentioned. It's hard to get ahead of it when winds are that extreme.

Cows just go berserk. Penning them in a dirt lot is ideal but most of the time they are breaking for the back 40. They don't want anything to do with pens.

It's just plain devastation.

All of my daughter's fences and cross fences are steel. No wood posts to burn. That's a blessing too.

Many lost fences, barns, hay and their homes too.

It's just sad. Sobering. There is a lot of hay donations coming in. People are really pitching in to help where they can. Offering 20, 30, 80, 100 acre pastures here and there. Clothing, food, shelter, "I've got spare bedrooms". It takes a special kind of person to open their home to strangers.

I don't think there were very many successful fire breaks that first day. The wind was 40 mph. People just had to leave, no time for most of them to do anything. It's still burning in rising star area and kokomo from what I understand. It's hard to get reliable news today. The first day facebook was very helpful but it quickly became full of people giving false info and people form 60 or more miles away asking if they needed to evacuate.
When we had fires here last summer getting GOOD information was also the hardest part.. Did the fire cross the river on the south of town? No THE SOUTH side, I don't care about the east or the west,... etc
I got some Baofeng 2 way VHF radios that are handy for stuff like that

Gosh, that would be a hard decision. From what I know, working in the dark and the liabilities of release.... I'd herd them with treats to the front exit gate and let out whatever 80% came out first and close the gate behind the remaining 20%. Then high-tail it out of there back to my warm bed. I'd keep silent and be in mourning for my loss. If I am brought before the high-court bench...only then....I will tell the truth. Goes along the lines..."you can pay me now, you can pay me later...or you may never have to pay me." I'm hoping I'll never have to answer for that payment.

Brute, with all due respect, you do not want to run a shredder. That's a sure fire. Several actually. This is flag stone country. The sparks from the shredder ignite a lot of fires.

CB I see it as natural disaster. No different than tornadoes dropping trees on fence lines. Liability is hard to place in times of disaster. Brush trucks don't bother to cut locks on gates or even find gates They cut fence. It's hard to blame the victim in these scenarios. My opinion. I'm not a judge.

Latest posts