Vermeer 554 XL Baler, Advice, Problems, Support

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I purchased a used (probably less than 300 rolls) 2004 Vermeer 554 XL Baler, twine tie only (dont need net wrap). I will bale bahia grass hay, no silage. I would appreciate some advice on the specific characteristics and problems of this baler, and what has been learned about this baler. I have read several posts about issues starting the roll/bale, belt issues, and "adjustments" and etc. Also, how do I get in touch with Vermeer technical support, and do they have a list of any updates or upgrades made to these balers to improve performance?

I have read a few posts that state the XL series is not good, and others that state it was a great baler. I would appreciate help/comments related to your experience with the XL series.

Starting a roll?
Belt issues?
Belts losing traction?
Pickup teeth?

I have not run it yet. I am picking it up in a few weeks. The 2 wide belts are new (less than 100 rolls), and the owner said the 2 narrow belts need 4 inches each added to length to match the new belts. He baled near me before he moved and the problems that I witnessed were sometimes it would not start a roll, sometimes it would tear belts (he said it was the actually the lacing pulling out).

The time I used it it a few years back to finish a field during my breakdown, it rolled everything without a problem (pretty fast down the windrow too!, faster than I would need/want but it was his tractor and baler and he showed me the gear to use and said "go").

oh ok I was just wondering if it gave you any problems while you used it. I do not have one was just curious all my vermeer stuff is forestry equip.

FWIW I just sold a 2004- 5500 rebel Vermeer the other day. I had it about 2 years and really liked it, just wasn't using it much, buying what little hay I feed. Don't know how much or different it was than yours being a different model. 3000 rolls thru one is really nothing in the life of a baler. Mine started rolls good and would bale wet if I wanted to and made a pretty roll.

I have always heard the Rebels were good, the xl's were supposed to be a step up. Does anyone know the differences in the Rebel and xl's? Do they feed and roll hay in a different manner, or are hey similar design with heavier parts on the xl?

bremma or bust":25x8j7ii said:
I have always heard the Rebels were good, the xl's were supposed to be a step up. Does anyone know the differences in the Rebel and xl's? Do they feed and roll hay in a different manner, or are hey similar design with heavier parts on the xl?
The rebel is an open throat design, the XL probably is too. Most newer balers are the open throat design vs. the older closed throat like the Gehl balers or the older Vermeer. Open throat balers start a bale much easier.

Latest posts