Grass ID

Help Support CattleToday:

I have perennial ryegrass seeded out here as part of erosion control effort I seeded last summer late, in part of my yard. Been too wet to mow. It doesn't look like that.

View attachment 44257
Perennial (and annual, for that matter) ryegrass seedheads have these alternating groups of seeds on an undulating stem. Looks nothing like those in the the original photos
My thought was that since it was just heading out that the seed had not spread out from the stem yet.
Best thing is that his cows ate it as soon as it was available to them.

Why do you say it isnt perennial ryegrass? Im relying on my Plant ID app so im sure its possible it isnt.
The seedhead isn't fully expanded by far. All of the 'seeds' will be attached directly to the rachis in perennial rye. This seedhead/inflorescence is going to be/is a panicle when fully developed. I'm going to guess your plant ID is recognizing a rachis rather than a panicle that isn't fully expanded.

Forgive my use of terminology as I haven't used some of this in quite some time, although I know what I'm looking at. I can't right now, but I'll try to get some pictures to illustrate what I'm saying here.

I will see if I can find it this morning. There were a few clumps across the field.

The way seed comes off the stem on ryegrass, it's definitely not that. The seed is arranged more similarly to fescue. Though the leaves and stem are definitely different.

It's got a color similar to Timothy. And kinda has structure similar to Timothy. It's pretty thick stemmed. But has a fescue looking seedhead. Maybe it's something that is two things combined in nature. 😆

I use an app called "seek"…I think it is somehow related to inaturalist…don't know if you can use the photo you have for seek to identity but you can upload the photo in inaturalist and can probably get a fairly quick response…I'm with some of the others here in that it doesn't look like perennial rye grass…let us know what you find out …I've used seek to identify several weeds/grasses this year…seems to be fairly reliable….inaturalist has always come through for me…another thing I've found is if you tap the little information icon beneath the photo on your phone, it will sometimes give you the identification - not sure how accurate it is…only discovered that a couple of weeks ago…never mind on the iPhone trick - it says it's perennial rye - inaturalist May be your best bet

Last edited:
My app is saying quackgrass but not with a high degree of certainty. Im not confident in what it is.
I rode through some of my paddocks that havent been grazed and cant find any of it. But i sure got way more grass than cattle to eat it.

Latest posts