Chicken

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Think one of my bantams is racist. As her eggs started hatching she viciously killed the black chicks leaving one pretty little white one which she now proudly struts around with :shock:

That's just weird. Years ago I hatched out a lot of eggs under hens and never had one kill chicks. I remember in the spring I'd even order 25 baby chicks to be picked up on the same day that eggs were due to hatch. The first night after the eggs hatched I'd go to the pen where I had the hen and slip the store-bought chicks under her. She'd take care of them just like the ones she'd hatched. And it was pretty funny watching her trying to cover all of them up at night. (I'd only do this when it was late enough in the year that the chicks wouldn't get too cold.)

alisonb":1rwyzstb said:
Think one of my bantams is racist. As her eggs started hatching she viciously killed the black chicks leaving one pretty little white one which she now proudly struts around with :shock:
My father and I runs commercial chickens for Gold'n'Plump and our chickens are white broilers. We ran 50,000 chickens at one time and we would got some black chickens occasionally. The white ones will gang up them and peck them unstoppable. Sometimes I swore that chickens are racists.

That is strange. I used to work on a quail farm and whenever the birds noticed something wrong with another bird they would peck them to death. Anything that didn't look right would trigger this. I don't see why they would do it on color but maybe she knew something else was wrong with them. :???:

Birds of a feather flock together. We have several different breeds of chickens and they tend to hang out together. The roosters are equal opportunity but the hens like to stay sorted. Weird that she would kill them, though.

Well, perhaps she's not racist after all seeings she's black herself :p . Here she is took her poor little chick out in minus temps this morning...not a very good mother.
DSC04668_zpsbe30c3f0.jpg

Rafter S":ravqjshi said:
She'd take care of them just like the ones she'd hatched.
This is the first time that I have encountered this, especially with a bantam...they so love to have a clutch of chicks around them. Have even put Guinea fowl eggs under them and they adopt as their own. The guinea fowl bond really strongly with the hen and will remember her for years after that.

Taurus":ravqjshi said:
We ran 50,000 chickens at one time and we would got some black chickens occasionally.
Do the black one's taste the same as the white one's :p

Yes Jo, have seen them kill another if there was something wrong with it. This was just weird.

alisonb":2h0tzkip said:
Well, perhaps she's not racist after all seeings she's black herself :p . Here she is took her poor little chick out in minus temps this morning...not a very good mother.
DSC04668_zpsbe30c3f0.jpg

Rafter S":2h0tzkip said:
She'd take care of them just like the ones she'd hatched.
This is the first time that I have encountered this, especially with a bantam...they so love to have a clutch of chicks around them. Have even put Guinea fowl eggs under them and they adopt as their own. The guinea fowl bond really strongly with the hen and will remember her for years after that.

Taurus":2h0tzkip said:
We ran 50,000 chickens at one time and we would got some black chickens occasionally.
Do the black one's taste the same as the white one's :p

Yes Jo, have seen them kill another if there was something wrong with it. This was just weird.

From what I can see she does look pretty darn cute , but then again so do most of them at that age . I need to see another pic in about a month before I pass judgment on her mom . :lol:

Latest posts