KBHR High Road E283

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
You want GROWTH? This bull has growth. And he does it with calving ease. Absolutely sterling EPDs. Regardless of whether you think EPDs are worthless and maybe they are - some folks buy on them so that should help sell this bull's progeny. I bought a cane of his semen today from Genex.

KBHR High Road E283
94 pound birth weight
Weaning Weight 792 pounds
Yearling Weight. 1513 pounds
Frame 6.0
Scrotal. 38 cm

EPDs: (note the rank) He ranks #1 in six categories. He ranks # 2 in three categories.

Looks like a good bull. Numbers look great also. However I was not overly impressed my 2 Beacon calves this year. They were way too small at birth. I have decided to try to stay away from negative bw numbers. However I know your birth weights run a good bit higher than average so i expect he will work good on your cows.

Dale L said:
Looks like a good bull. Numbers look great also. However I was not overly impressed my 2 Beacon calves this year. They were way too small at birth. I have decided to try to stay away from negative bw numbers. However I know your birth weights run a good bit higher than average so i expect he will work good on your cows.

Dale. I only have one heifer bred to Beacon and it is still in the oven. Due 10/10/2019. I also have concern on frame and calf size for Beacon, thus, I am not using Beacon as a bull on cows.

High Road has a bigger frame (6.0). I suspect the maternal side is pushing his size. Looking at his birth weight (94 pounds), weaning weight, and yearling weight, I hope he doesn't sire small calves. I also like my calves in the 80 pound range. For me, the cutoff on too big is over 95.

Those are tremendous numbers. He is pretty good looking also. BTW - I do not think EPD's are worthless. I think they are very helpful, but, I don't base my picking bulls on their EPD's. It is part of the tools.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Those are tremendous numbers. He is pretty good looking also. BTW - I do not think EPD's are worthless. I think they are very helpful, but, I don't base my picking bulls on their EPD's. It is part of the tools.

Jeanne, I believe EPDs have value. Nevertheless, I think a good knowledge of the pedigree of a bull trumps EPDs. I know you have made the same observations I have. Sometimes one's observations clearly are in conflict with what the EPDs are indicating.

I believe if the cattle industry has more life in it (that is an entire discussion on its own merits), EPDs will be refined so they are a true reflection of the genome. Currently, I would consider myself skeptical.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Pedigree has a great influence on my decisions - but offspring trumps everything.

Every buyer of a virgin bull faces the dilemma of not having offspring to draw information from. So the pedigree, phenotype and genotype provide some information for evaluation.

That is an advantage of AI, you can select bulls that have literally hundreds of offspring to draw information from.

5 shots of Legacy. I've said it before and I'll say it again if people want to line breed to something why not just use the original one?

EPD profile looks awesome some pretty good seedstock people bought into him. Bull isn't for me but I'm sure he has his spot in the breed.

Latest posts