High Elevation breeds

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":1x34tdun said:
glacierridge":1x34tdun said:
skeeter swatter":1x34tdun said:

How do you get em here from England............Fed Ex

More than one way to skin a cat 3way.

http://www.thefleckviehguy.com/
This guy doesn't have stuff from England, but he does have stuff from Germany.
And I'm pretty sure the English imports can get here about the same way as the German imports. ;-)
He's a nice fellow, met him at a farm show and very knowledgeable. :tiphat:

skeeter swatter":1me62xzj said:
But here's my question? How well do modern, more Americanized, french, and swiss continentals do? Or since they've only been here since the 60's-70's do they still have that "trait", you might call it? Like if I was to take a load of PB Simmy's from here, and haul them to CO, how many more do you think could make it, with slowly adjusting, over a angus, or hereford, with adjusting at the same amount of time?

Where are you going to find purebred Simmis? Simmentals are large and YELLOW, not three feet tall and BLACK.[/quote]
I could drive 50 miles to MO, and get a trailer load if I wanted some.

heard that lowline x corriente cross do great in the high country don't know why more don't use this cross :bday:

Thanks all. I am up in Divide, Colorado. Its near the Pikes Peak area. I run Saler/Angus cross generally, some with Hereford mixed in there too. I am a benginnig rancher and am still gathering as much advice as possible. I have been told that Herefords can get ther milk bags sunburned pretty bad at elevation so... stay away, but who knows about that. The relfection off of snow is very intense at 9000-10000 ft. I know from experience.
Generally I would not buy a heifer that scored above 45 PAP test score so I think I'm on the right track there, but still was wondering if any breed in particular was generally better and I think many of you contributed great ansewers.

Thanks everybody, good luck out there.

double v":214u7ksf said:
heard that lowline x corriente cross do great in the high country don't know why more don't use this cross :bday:

Because when we put them up around timberline the Marmots keep trying to breed them.

Latest posts