WW Beefmaster Squeeze

Help Support CattleToday:

chukar

Reaction score
Probably not the right place to put this question, but anyone have one of these?

Any likes/dislikes about WW equipment for a permanent set up? vs say building a wood sweep, alley leading to a PR chute? Would really like a Moly Silencer, but for 50 cows and 100 stockers not really going to cut it.

Thanks

i like a combination i have WW sweep and alley but put a Priefert S04 in front of it. i like all the WW holding pens,sweep, and alley really well it all works good i have used others i dont like near as well.
The WW chute is a good chute i just dont like to have to adjust the head catch depending on size, i run all mine through at the same time so with the priefert i catch whatever comes along from a baby calf to the biggest cow no adjustment.

I have a WW sweep and adjustable 20ft alley. Good stuff.

Honestly I've never seen a wooden sweep and alley that I liked.

I have a WW sweep tub that runs into an older Powder River alley with a Powder River longhorn chute in front. I like the sweep. I can run a fair amount of cattle by myself in a timely manner with a lot less stress on me and the cattle. The only two things I have had any problem with. The latch handle springs could be stronger or I could do a better job of keeping it oiled up. It works fine but I have to manually close the latch. The springs don't do it for me. The other is one of those fluke things. I had a cow try to climb out. She ended up getting her foot stuck in the gap between two of the panels. I have since made a bar that bolted over that gap not allowing an animal to get a foot into there.
My tub isn't sheeted. I have some fabric from a pulp mill to hang on the outside of the tub which will in effect make it into a sheeted tub. I just haven't had time to hang it as of now. I know that having a sheeted tub will help to decrease the times an animal will atempt to jump out. Not that that has happened very often.

I own a WW squeeze chute,dont know the model,had it over 20 yrs. I grew up working cattle in different kinds of squeeze chutes.I helped wear out 2 WW chutes Bangs testing cattle.
I like the WW I have because I work cattle alone except for my dog. The Head gate on mine has a setting on it so you can put it half open and the cow will catch herself. I put the cows in a chute then put them thru the squeeze chute.Last Tuesday I worked 25 calves thru it .I set the head gate for the bulls neck and catch calves in the flanks.I pop open the side gate and cut the bulls.Close side gate notch ear and vaccinate let it out.Takes less than 5 minutes a calf. Calves cant kick can only thrash tails.
Only thing I would do differently is I would buy one with the palpation cage option. Mine has the wheels and tongue so it is easy to move from place to place. I would like to own one of the WW crowd pens and portable chutes to go with it.
My pens on place I own are set up like an auction barn with alley in middle and pens up and down both sides.Middle section has a crowd pen and chute to put cattle thru to WW squeeze chute.

I have the WW squeeze chute too. The only thing I don't like about it is the rear slide down gate - it's not tall enough to always prevent the next cow waiting in line from jumping up on top of it. Haven't had the problem with the Beefmasters but the Brangus were longer legged and a bit on the hyper side. Adjusting the bottom width takes a while (when your in a hurry) but maybe the newer models are a little different.

baleflipper":z9eee6us said:
The Head gate on mine has a setting on it so you can put it half open and the cow will catch herself.
That's one of the 4 things I don;t like about WWs. Our cows must have been too smart. About half of them caught on to sticking their head in just starting to close it then jerking back and swinging it wide open and running through it. The others are when the cow is putting a lot of pressure either forward or backward trying to open the gate, the need to adjust it for different sizes (not that big of a deal since we would sort them before running them through, the last was having the handle at the highest point, wore out my arm and shoulder running the darn thing. That was on the chute they used call the continental because it was sized for really big cattle, but the standard one is bad too. The vet has 2 of them and the dairy used to have 2 of them. I'll stick with my Priefert thank you.

I have 2 WW squeeze chutes. One bought in 1990 with wheel kit and it has had thousands of head put through it. The second one is about 5 years old and includes the palp cage, alley, and sweep. Really like both of them.
Dun, mine has a stop that keeps the head catch from opening too wide when they back up. I had used it for 3 years before I found it though. :dunce:

kenny thomas":1b5szwho said:
I have 2 WW squeeze chutes. One bought in 1990 with wheel kit and it has had thousands of head put through it. The second one is about 5 years old and includes the palp cage, alley, and sweep. Really like both of them.
Dun, mine has a stop that keeps the head catch from opening too wide when they back up. I had used it for 3 years before I found it though. :dunce:
I guess the folks around here don;t know about it. I've seen the owners of them miss the same way.

bse":3jd58obk said:
i like a combination i have WW sweep and alley but put a Priefert S04 in front of it. i like all the WW holding pens,sweep, and alley really well it all works good i have used others i dont like near as well.
The WW chute is a good chute i just dont like to have to adjust the head catch depending on size, i run all mine through at the same time so with the priefert i catch whatever comes along from a baby calf to the biggest cow no adjustment.

For me this is the ideal setup, WW to the palp cage and then Priefert chute. I have owned Powder River and WW and the Priefert is best chute by far in my opinion.

Thanks for the feedback. From looking at pictures I am not sure we feel that comfortable with the whole tailgate set up. It looks like an anxious cow could just let her way right up in the palp cage if she wanted to. And it seems there is nothing to stop the one in the chute from backing over the top of you should she come free. Maybe I am wrong about it, but just seems that way. There is the whole package for sale for about the right price. The steel tub would be nice to have.

Latest posts