vaginal prolapsed

Help Support CattleToday:

chevygirl

Reaction score
Hi, just trying to find out if anyone has had a cow that had a vaginal prolapse and had the calf delivered early? We have a big beefmaster that has never had any problems before and caught her starting to have a vaginal prolapse. Had her preg tested and the vet said she was due any day. The only problem is we know when she calfed last year, Sept 4. My daughter who has her Masters in Animal Science says that the cow could not be bred back any earlier then 50-60 days. But I know I have had cows bred back 30-40 days. I want to have the vet induce her, but I want the baby to be healthy as well. Would appricate anyone with any experience with this to comment on it.

I have had older cows do this as those ligaments just wear out over time and Simm cattle tend to have this happen a good bit later in life. Of course knowing when she was bred would be great, but since you evidently don't and if the vet thinks she is only days away you can induce it.

What I have done in the past (but knowing her due date) is sew her up until a few days before normal due date-- then induce. I believe I would just follow my Vet's recommendation -- on this one.

JS

chevygirl":26116nje said:
Hi, just trying to find out if anyone has had a cow that had a vaginal prolapse and had the calf delivered early? We have a big beefmaster that has never had any problems before and caught her starting to have a vaginal prolapse. Had her preg tested and the vet said she was due any day. The only problem is we know when she calfed last year, Sept 4. My daughter who has her Masters in Animal Science says that the cow could not be bred back any earlier then 50-60 days. But I know I have had cows bred back 30-40 days. I want to have the vet induce her, but I want the baby to be healthy as well. Would appricate anyone with any experience with this to comment on it.

chevygirl":1s4rdw2t said:

If she has not prolapse I would just watch her till she calves . If she did prolapse before she calved , Put one or two stitches in her to hold it in .If you catch her trying to calve cut the stitches . If you dont she will break them or tear them out . When you wean the calf sell her..

brahman and brahman influence cows when they are close, and their dilated .. look like their prolasped ive had one that looked like she would prolaspe if she coughed hard when due

ALACOWMAN":oayfxxy6 said:
brahman and brahman influence cows when they are close, and their dilated .. look like their prolasped ive had one that looked like she would prolaspe if she coughed hard when due
I had a registered angus cow like that , she never prolapsed ad her heifer I kept does not have that problem.
Valerie

vclavin":15t0koq5 said:
ALACOWMAN":15t0koq5 said:
I had a registered angus cow like that , she never prolapsed ad her heifer I kept does not have that problem.
Valerie
in the early 90's i had two full indu sisters, have a vaginal prolaspe around 3 weeks apart

Latest posts