Trying to price cows in this market

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I am going to reduce down by 2 cows. One from my commercial herd and one from my registered herd. I am just not sure how to price them. Both are pretty good quality, both are 3 years old and prego with their 2nd calf. Both have had healthy, decent performing calves last year. I am making way for some up and coming stock and funding a land project.....anyway here are their stats:

Registered cow is a purebred Gelbvieh and will be 6 to 8 months bred at selling time. No calf at her side.

Commercial cow is a balancer that will have a 3 month old calf at her side (sex unknown right now since she should have it within the next week or so). She will be bred back to my new Balancer bull by sale time. She weaned off a 650 lb bull calf last year which is excellent for a first calf heifer.

Most of ya'll know the quality of my cattle based off of the dozens of pics I have posted on here over the years. I have a buyer that is interested in taking them this summer after the one is bred back. As the market stands right now how would you price them? Both are black and well dispositioned with no health problems.

So your selling one alone and one with calf at side? In that case, I think you can start at a solid $4000 and adjust up or down from there.

Aaron":3o8h9tg8 said:
So your selling one alone and one with calf at side? In that case, I think you can start at a solid $4000 and adjust up or down from there.

Yes. The commercial one with a calf at her side and bred back and the registered one heavy bred with a registerable calf.

hoss im going to say something you prolly wont like.but if i was you my reg cattle thats worth keeping.a at my comm cows an see how meny of them can be sold.bred comm cows id want $1600ea pairs prolly $2000ea.but if on selling a coming 2nd calf id say $2500 for her.if your reg cow prices are like my reg cow prices your looking at $2000 plus for replacement cows same as me.but im hoping i can get some bought for $2500 or less a hd.

HOSS":3n9ujrz2 said:
I am going to reduce down by 2 cows. One from my commercial herd and one from my registered herd. I am just not sure how to price them. Both are pretty good quality, both are 3 years old and prego with their 2nd calf. Both have had healthy, decent performing calves last year. I am making way for some up and coming stock and funding a land project.....anyway here are their stats:

Registered cow is a purebred Gelbvieh and will be 6 to 8 months bred at selling time. No calf at her side.

Commercial cow is a balancer that will have a 3 month old calf at her side (sex unknown right now since she should have it within the next week or so). She will be bred back to my new Balancer bull by sale time. She weaned off a 650 lb bull calf last year which is excellent for a first calf heifer.

Most of ya'll know the quality of my cattle based off of the dozens of pics I have posted on here over the years. I have a buyer that is interested in taking them this summer after the one is bred back. As the market stands right now how would you price them? Both are black and well dispositioned with no health problems.

In my neck of the woods the right crossbred cow will bring more than a registered any day.
Good crossbred pair bring 2200 to 2500 here.
Salebarn pairs are bring up to 2300.
http://www.easttexaslivestock.com/market-report/

Black commercial fancy first calf heifer pairs in Clinton, OK today sold for $2775 (have heard same kind were bringing up to $3500 in Chickasha, OK on Saturday). 5-8 year old black cows with 150# 1/4 Charolais calves brought $1850 - $2300. Good quality breds 4 - 8 years old mostly $1600 - $2000 (all "sale barn prices"). Don't sell yourself short in this market...

DLD":1wy0c5a8 said:
Black commercial fancy first calf heifer pairs in Clinton, OK today sold for $2775 (have heard same kind were bringing up to $3500 in Chickasha, OK on Saturday). 5-8 year old black cows with 150# 1/4 Charolais calves brought $1850 - $2300. Good quality breds 4 - 8 years old mostly $1600 - $2000 (all "sale barn prices"). Don't sell yourself short in this market...

The local sale barn had 7 to 9 yr old 1 month bred bred cows (no calves at side) selling for $1,800 so I don't think I will be selling what I have very cheap. I think the 3-in-1 will sell for 3k or close to it.

when I list cows for sale I go see what they are going for at sale barn check on craigslist and cattle range in my area then figure out what I think they are worth and then list them for a couple hundred higher and can have a lil room to negotiate

wacocowboy":2jumam82 said:
when I list cows for sale I go see what they are going for at sale barn check on craigslist and cattle range in my area then figure out what I think they are worth and then list them for a couple hundred higher and can have a lil room to negotiate

That is were we differ I don't negotiate.
I have a price and do not haggle start that crap with me and I will ask you to leave.
Nothing PO's me faster than someone show and want to go to show cattle judging and critiquing
cattle. When that happens you will hear good day this sale is over.
I know fair market value of yours or mine you set a price I am either willing to pay or not.

Caustic Burno":3pwm7e6y said:
wacocowboy":3pwm7e6y said:

That is were we differ I don't negotiate.
I have a price and do not haggle start that crap with me and I will ask you to leave.
Nothing PO's me faster than someone show and want to go to show cattle judging and critiquing
cattle. When that happens you will hear good day this sale is over.
I know fair market value of yours or mine you set a price I am either willing to pay or not.

do you give volume discounts :mrgreen:

Latest posts