titles

Help Support CattleToday:

I noticed BHB's new title a little while ago...I think it's quite appropriate.

Good Choice, BHB

Alice

chrisy":3ozpqn65 said:
Congrats BHB....a smithy here is a man/woman who replaces shoes on horses.

In the old days in the old west they had to forge their own shoes. Now most all of them use store bought shoes and they go by farrier around here.

backhoeboogie":10vbi87g said:
chrisy":10vbi87g said:
Congrats BHB....a smithy here is a man/woman who replaces shoes on horses.

In the old days in the old west they had to forge their own shoes. Now most all of them use store bought shoes and they go by farrier around here.

Farrier is the correct terminology, smithy is slang used, and most still make there own shoes made to messure the horse. and is quite expensive.

dun":2jdar968 said:
backhoeboogie":2jdar968 said:
Lammie":2jdar968 said:

It has nothing to do with silversmith :lol: More akin to playing with junk iron.

As in:
UNDER a spreading chestnut-tree
The village smithy stands

Yeah, I have heard the poem and seen that episode of The Three Stooges.

Does this make BHB a Stooge?

I just thought it was a bit of an old reference. Like it belongs in the thread about "words seldom heard".

You know I am jackin' with you, right, BHB, or should I say, Mr, :pretty: Smith?

If I were good enough to be a goldsmith, I probably wouldn't be in this forum. Somebody else would be picking on me and she may not be as cute as you Lammie.

I worked with a fascinating man when I was young. My grandads neighbor was the descendent of VERY early settlers. A veteran of WW1. Working life in the Allison foundry in Indy. When he retired, he came home to the family holding and we shared labor on tobacco. He and I ran a transplanter together. Long, tedious days putting one plant after another in the wheel. I don't know his education level, but he had this poem memorized. Good stuff.

http://www.bartleby.com/102/59.html

Hey BHB ~ I thought of a really good name for you, but it looks like you got it covered ;-)
I do like the title. :nod:

My farrier makes his shoes yet ~ he puts them on my horse still hot, hot, hot!!!
Well ~ did. Sold her last fall, but that is neither here nor there.

Glad you are here :tiphat:

john250":3diukex4 said:
I worked with a fascinating man when I was young. My grandads neighbor was the descendent of VERY early settlers. A veteran of WW1. Working life in the Allison foundry in Indy. When he retired, he came home to the family holding and we shared labor on tobacco. He and I ran a transplanter together. Long, tedious days putting one plant after another in the wheel. I don't know his education level, but he had this poem memorized. Good stuff.

http://www.bartleby.com/102/59.html

Thanks for sharing that. I had heard it (or one similar) at one point or another but its great to read it again.

Latest posts