Sunset

Help Support CattleToday:

Your grass has really come along. It is amazing to see the growth of the calves from your calving pictures but then I think that they are around 4 + months old already right?

Have you made any hay yet? We made our first here last week... Orchard grass was good, not real heavy, but the wheat/rye combination we had planted for winter cover was exceptional... 5+ round bales to the acre easy.... 1000 lbs +.... the wheat was early soft dough stage and weather was perfect for drying so it will make good feed for the cattle for the winter time. Don't always get it i that nice. We have been a bit dry and except for a few spikes of high temps in April, it has been a bit chillier here than normal for this time of year. It was getting really dry also, but have had some rain the last 2 days. Not alot but some 30% chance all this coming week so hopefully we will get some more.

Your grass has really come along. It is amazing to see the growth of the calves from your calving pictures but then I think that they are around 4 + months old already right?

Have you made any hay yet? We made our first here last week... Orchard grass was good, not real heavy, but the wheat/rye combination we had planted for winter cover was exceptional... 5+ round bales to the acre easy.... 1000 lbs +.... the wheat was early soft dough stage and weather was perfect for drying so it will make good feed for the cattle for the winter time. Don't always get it i that nice. We have been a bit dry and except for a few spikes of high temps in April, it has been a bit chillier here than normal for this time of year. It was getting really dry also, but have had some rain the last 2 days. Not alot but some 30% chance all this coming week so hopefully we will get some more.
The bull calf was born in January 9. We have a dairy neighbor who began his hay but it's a bit early for us. Still some cleaning in the barns to do, we put the cows out on may 27. We seed that pasture 2 years ago so he's in full production. We received 2 inches of rain in may but it was a bit chilly here too. I hope we'll have a great grazing summer but like each year we know at the end of it!

We got 1.3 inches total, 1.1 overnight Monday 29th.... after only .6 inches all month. Nights are still down in the upper 40's and low 50's which is a little cool for us here.
Yep, we will see how the grazing does after the end of the season.
That calf looks real good. I was close, he will be 5 months in a few days.

Just heard about some fires in eastern Canada on the radio today... anywhere close to you? Hope you are in a safe area.
They are saying there might be some smoke and such in the eastern US and some high haziness... we had some of that from the fires in western Canada last week or so... wind currents really carrying the smoke.

We are far from the fires, they are in others provinces but we never know went they can occurs. We are in a 3 days hot temperatures and it's a bit dangerous in the forest with the dry leaves.