Stock tank float

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
First year using a float, bought the cheap plastic ones and have been fine, until now. A few cows have decided it makes a good scratching post and I come home and so far have been lucky enough to catch it before it makes a mess. They aren't breaking it, just bending the tabs on the back. Float is to the back against a wall, not out in front.

I can't find any other option, I don't know if there is some sort of cage I can fashion over it or what? The metal box version would not help, it's the part that wraps around the top of the tank on the back that is getting bent.

Advice?

I set a wooden fence post on both side of mine. They still scratched on the post, so I tacked some barbed wire on them.

Bigfoot":3nfezl9l said:
I set a wooden fence post on both side of mine. They still scratched on the post, so I tacked some barbed wire on them.
If its a narrow tank. Put a post behind float and one directly across the tank then nail a 2x4 across it. 2x4 should touch top of float

I screw a piece of angle iron across the back of the tank then mount the float to it. I also use washing machine hoses to connect it so there is less of a chnace of the cows breaking the hose.

I had to put one up in a hurry last year and I wired a tomato cage to the fence that the tank was against. Worked great. I've never heard of a cheap float lasting either. Mine wasn't a budget buster but probably 3 times higher than the cheap one MFA had.

Was just going to post that as well.. Been using them a number of years, and depending on your tank, they float towards the middle, out of the way.

http://gallagherelectricfencing.com/pro ... with-float

And I like these tanks

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/r ... --capacity

Only ever had one get cracked and that was from a couple fighting (big) bulls in close quarters getting pushed into it. There's cheaper versions out there that look close, but they are more regular type plastic and don't hold up like the rubber maids.

Here's a photo of mine, I have four like this about 15 years old. With the exception of a occasional float adjustment they've been maintenance free.

The trough is just concrete and rebar. I didn't use those plastic chairs. It's a wonder they didn't fall apart... :lol2:

Kell-inKY":2g5b867k said:
First year using a float, bought the cheap plastic ones and have been fine, until now.
Advice?
I have a cheap plastic float that I think you are talking about and a couple of cows who liked to play with it.
I put the tank in fence line with electric fencer wire a few inches over the float and they quickly learned to leave it alone.

Supa Dexta":2g3x576b said:
Was just going to post that as well.. Been using them a number of years, and depending on your tank, they float towards the middle, out of the way.

http://gallagherelectricfencing.com/pro ... with-float

And I like these tanks

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/r ... --capacity

Only ever had one get cracked and that was from a couple fighting (big) bulls in close quarters getting pushed into it. There's cheaper versions out there that look close, but they are more regular type plastic and don't hold up like the rubber maids.

Agree. Best tank I have used yet. Quite portable too from a weight standpoint.

What worked for me is putting a cinder block in trough and tying the cheap float down to keep it from popping up and making a mess when they play with it . Cinder block in water trough tying float down and the screw in from the back secures it

I'm not a real big fan of those garden hose floats, metal or plastic, unless you are only watering a few head in a temporary situation. These floats do work so-so for what they are, but the recovery time combined with a frostless hydrant is pathetic :roll: I have been known to put two floats on a tank, and the larger the tank, the better. As someone noted, strategically placed posts/enclosure will protect the floats from cattle damage.

For a permanent and weatherproof stock water installation, it is better to eliminate all exposed plumbing. I prefer a Lewis/Watson valve installed in the bottom of the tank. Aluminum floats are much sturdier and stand up to both sun and freezing. Just don't hit 'em with the ax :oops:

A large tank is good in that it gives a large supply of water. But sometimes it gets hot they will try to crawl in a large tank. Ours were also built to accommodate sheep

fenceman":2khvuo4f said:
A large tank is good in that it gives a large supply of water. But sometimes it gets hot they will try to crawl in a large tank. Ours were also built to accommodate sheep

Doesn't have to be a large tank either for them to crawl in. Neighbor has some 4x8? rectangular fiberglass tanks I was watching for him while he was away. Covered in the middle, open on the ends. 300 lb calf got in, tangled up in the float and broke it off, and couldn't get out by himself. Had to get another neighbor to help rescue the calf, then do a bit of plumbing :roll:

John SD":tttng5o9 said:
fenceman":tttng5o9 said:

Doesn't have to be a large tank either for them to crawl in. Neighbor has some 4x8? rectangular fiberglass tanks I was watching for him while he was away. Covered in the middle, open on the ends. 300 lb calf got in, tangled up in the float and broke it off, and couldn't get out by himself. Had to get another neighbor to help rescue the calf, then do a bit of plumbing :roll:
Use to have a 4x3 concrete, big old mama cow got in . Got stuck like a cork in a bottle

What John SD said.
If it's a horse or maybe one or two cows drinking, you can get along with one of those float assemblies - until they tear 'em up; but, if you've got more than one or two cows drinking, and it's hot... refill capability will NOT keep up with consumption - and that's when they start wrecking stuff.

Used 1" Hudson full-flow valves for years, and they would work great for well or municipal water systems - but with gravity-fed pond water, the screens got gunked up and had to be cleaned almost daily.
Concrete and tire tanks now in use are plumbed up through the bottom with A.Y. McDonald valve assemblies - allow tremendous flow and minimal to no plugging issues with pond water... but biggest issue I've had is the ball deforming and failing to re-seat after the cows start drinking, if they've been sitting full with the float full up for extended periods.

Latest posts