Started with the stick yesterday!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Not sure if it was the full moon or what but they were being a pain yesterday?? I had to walk the gas out of them for a good while so she could work the stick on them. B&G

This calf hurt is foot early in the halter breaking not sure he's going to make the ride or not. "Elmer" PB Gelbvieh bull 2/10/17

This is a Balancer bull "Frenchie" this pic doesn't do him justice IMO. DOB 2/20/17

This is a PB Gelbvieh heifer "Laura" DOB 2/2/17

This is a Balancer Heifer "Alifair" DOB 2/6/17

Do you tie your calves up for a period of time each day? We found that prior to kicking out at the end of the day, we would make the set up just before they get turned loose, it takes a few times put they get pretty good at setting up, we do not turn them loose until they do it right. Most calves figure out if they cooperate they get to go free sooner.
My youngest (well hi=e is 25 now), had a way of finding each one's spot, once he did he could get them to stand without even a halter. Each calf seems to have a spot, if they do and you find it life is easier, Biggest help is teaching them to lead into the stance, make setting them up quick and easy, the less you mess with their feet the better.
Sounds like you're having a good time though.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1w6l83mq said:
VERY nice looking cattle! Your doing a great job.

Thanks FSR! It's been a lot of learning for me. I'm very lucky I have experienced friends that are helping me learn. B&G

VCC":t32uxl33 said:
Do you tie your calves up for a period of time each day? We found that prior to kicking out at the end of the day, we would make the set up just before they get turned loose, it takes a few times put they get pretty good at setting up, we do not turn them loose until they do it right. Most calves figure out if they cooperate they get to go free sooner.
My youngest (well hi=e is 25 now), had a way of finding each one's spot, once he did he could get them to stand without even a halter. Each calf seems to have a spot, if they do and you find it life is easier, Biggest help is teaching them to lead into the stance, make setting them up quick and easy, the less you mess with their feet the better.
Sounds like you're having a good time though.

VCC, Thanks for all your advice. We usually take them to water after leading them. As I mentioned this was the first time with a stick so, I'm not sure how my friends normally do it. I'm just trying to learn and help where I can. LOL. Thanks again. B&G

We actually start using the stick on them early, not setting them up as much, just scratching and getting them use to it, this is usually when they find the calf's sweet spot. Finding the spot that gets them to relax is also very helpful when you are clipping and fitting, you can get someone to scratch on them while you clip, and they will stand still for a much longer period of time.
Every calf was different some it was the brisket, some just behind the brisket others the belly even one more towards the flank, some with the hook others the smooth side of the stick, it takes a little while but it pays off if you can find it.
I think what helped us is when they learned how to teach the step into the stance, stopping them half way through the stride so the front foot stopped parallel with the other, then lifting the head a bit so the move the rear foot for balance and your close to being set up without the stick, most calves like to be scratched but hate the stick on the feet, the less you need the stick for setting up the better most calves will be.

Hope that helped,

VCC":3i5p2pla said:
We actually start using the stick on them early, not setting them up as much, just scratching and getting them use to it, this is usually when they find the calf's sweet spot. Finding the spot that gets them to relax is also very helpful when you are clipping and fitting, you can get someone to scratch on them while you clip, and they will stand still for a much longer period of time.
Every calf was different some it was the brisket, some just behind the brisket others the belly even one more towards the flank, some with the hook others the smooth side of the stick, it takes a little while but it pays off if you can find it.
I think what helped us is when they learned how to teach the step into the stance, stopping them half way through the stride so the front foot stopped parallel with the other, then lifting the head a bit so the move the rear foot for balance and your close to being set up without the stick, most calves like to be scratched but hate the stick on the feet, the less you need the stick for setting up the better most calves will be.

Hope that helped,

VCC, It does I'll try and remember that as I'm learning. Thanks B&G

Latest posts