single bottom plow vs Trencher

Help Support CattleToday:

CottageFarm":32f5rld2 said:
Definitely go with the subsoiler, it will heal faster.
And put it in conduit. I prefer the plastic stuff personally, but it doesn't matter. Can't tell you how many clients end up with a break or a short that takes forever to trace when it's just romex. Besides, with conduit you can use the individual strands rather than romex, it's easier to pull the wire and less expensive. And use 12 gauge rather than 14, even if you only have 15 amp breakers
Most places, 14 ga is only used and approved for low voltage ornamental lighting now days. If you're going to run direct burial cable (no paper wrapping around the conductors) and no conduit, better have a good memory if you ever do any other digging between source and your out buildings.

I don;t have my handy dandy book anymore, but it seems that 1200' underground is an awfull long ways for that small of a wire. I just checked again and the stuff I laid that was only about 200' has a conductor of 3/8" (can;t read the gauge) of multistrand not solid. That was what my old handy dandy book said I needed.
I think underground wire requires heavier gauge then non-buried

They make an underground Romex that has a grey jacket but I would still put it in PVC pipe. 14 or 12 ga wire would be useless in a 120' run. With 120volts the 12 would carry about enough amperage to flip the breaker every time you used a power tool. At a 120' I would use nothing smaller than 8ga. It would carry 35 amps at 120v or 50 amps at 230v. Stranded wire would do a little better. You can google cable charts to understand voltage drop in long runs of wire. Just remember solid wire is lower than stranded wire.

B&M Farms":35ywjw2i said:
You can google cable charts to understand voltage drop in long runs of wire. Just remember solid wire is lower than stranded wire.
I never thought of that I always just used the book (when I was able to find it)

Latest posts