Shows in TX and OK

Help Support CattleToday:

Tracy740

Reaction score
When does your show season start? How big of a calf do you normally buy? How old of a calf do you normally buy?

Thanks

Tracy740":2sa718zl said:
When does your show season start? How big of a calf do you normally buy? How old of a calf do you normally buy?

Thanks
Our show season has started. It starts I'd say late July/early August. For steers, the calves are typically about 6 months when you get them (since they'd be weaned about then) For heifers, I'd say about the same though age would be less imperative because with heifers you show according to age whereas with steers you show according to weight.

jaydill":2amqbqp1 said:
Tracy740":2amqbqp1 said:

Thanks
Our show season has started. It starts I'd say late July/early August. For steers, the calves are typically about 6 months when you get them (since they'd be weaned about then) For heifers, I'd say about the same though age would be less imperative because with heifers you show according to age whereas with steers you show according to weight.

Jay, most everybody has their calves by the end of march. Right after Houston is when the shows really kick off. July is just validation.

The Oklahoma Shows finished in June, and will kick off the next season with the County and State Fairs in September and October. The OCCA sanctioned shows will begin in November in Elk City, OK (Not too far from Colorado). Be sure to attend the Wichita Mountains Classic in Lawton, OK the first weekend of December. There will be calves from about 6-7 States including Colorado.

Heifers are OK to be born year round; most begin showing at 5-6 months, but cannot show beyond 24 months.

Fat Steers for the Okla. Winter/Spring Shows are born August - October. Fall Fat Show Steers are born March - May. Good feeders can push those ages to 20 months.

Cowboy 2.0":20eip3d9 said:
jaydill":20eip3d9 said:
Tracy740":20eip3d9 said:

Thanks

Jay, most everybody has their calves by the end of march. Right after Houston is when the shows really kick off. July is just validation.
Yes but I've noticed a lot more people heading out to the shows come July/early August. At least around here. We do have our calves by the end of march - may, though.

Latest posts