Showing a not so good Animal

Help Support CattleToday:

ffamom

Reaction score
This year wasn't kind to us in the show animal department. The animals we have will be middle to end of the class. I'm really debating on not taking our bulls and a heifer to the San Antonio Stock Show. I know someone has to be last, but I don't know if I want it to be my animals.

Stock shows have so much more than just the show. The camaraderie with the fellow breeders is the best part.

What to you all think? Suck it up and take our so-so animals or go down for the show?

I say go!...un-less you need the money of course.
Showing is 5% Money, 40% Cattle, 50% Fun, and the rest a mixture of sweat and hair adhesive. :D

Really it's up to if you and the kids want to do the work.

Good Luck either way. :tiphat:

I'd go if I could,... I've never even been to one to watch (shame on me, but there are none around here), but i've had dreams of showing a couple heifers, mostly to BS with other produces and rub shoulders

I'd load them up and go. In breeding someone may be looking for a specific trait or lineage to outcross to. You can't promote without being present. I have what would appear to be a sorry cow but she consistantly raises the best calves. My dad said that sometimes genetics would not present themselves every generation, but they were still there.

If you enjoy showing and it is in your budget - go.
Who knows, you might get a nice surprise. Besides you will get to hang out with friends.

If you have read my last few posts then you know that we know all about showing a not so good animal. But i can say we will be there. to quote my 15yr old daughter, "i dont care if we end up at the bottom, as long as she is healthy. plus, shes beautiful to me and thats all that really matters." this coming from the one doing all the work.

plus, imo, there is nothing (even finishing at the bottom....again) that can take away the wonderful memories made.

Hope to see you there!

txffamom, your story reminds me of the travel soccer trips I shared with my oldest daughter and the AAU basketball tournaments with my son over the years. We rarely won the championships but I wouldn't trade those times for all the blue ribbons in the world.

Enjoy yourselves and treasure the memories.

When I showed sheep at school we rarely won a class unless we were the only ones in it! We realised we didn't have the budgets of others but we enjoyed ourselves and learned so much while doing it. At the end of the day we still managed to sell our rams to sensible commercial breeders who new a good sheep when it was in front of them.
Best of luck!

Its not all about the ribbons or titles..but of the journey, memories and what you learned..at least IMO..

That is exactly what I tell my son in ANY competition, be it soccer, his sheep, his horse,whatever..

My girls showed what we raised on our farm, hogs and cattle. Won county bred class quite often, won cow calf quite often, if we had a carcass class would have loved to have the girls put a couple calves in. Always told the girls showmanship was more important than the beef class. Also told them if it was just the trophy they were after, would order one from the trophy shop (would have been far cheaper than the feed bill!!!!!). Fair week was our vacation and time together.

Thank you for all the responses. You all are the best. As for my decision, I will take 2 if I don't mess up the clipping too badly. One is probably going to be freezer beef very soon, but much easier to deal with 2 than one at a show.

Latest posts