Shorthorn herd sire - Gal Chaser

Help Support CattleToday:

roanbullman

Reaction score
Nile Valley Farm is extremely proud of Ar Su Lu Gallager 403_ (Gal Chaser) and his progeny. His Shorthorn calves are all firmly stamped with our seal of approval. When used on different body types and styles: the result is Gal Chaser trademarked. Great calving ease sire.

Posted a few photos of progeny in photo gallery. My skin is thick what does the group think.

I honestly don't care for him. In a bull, I tend to look for butts, guts, and nuts. He doesn't appear to have any of these. He also lacks masculinity and muscle. I grant that he looks like he has been out with cows and therefore is in his "working clothes"

Looking at your website and seeing he is a milking shorthorn, it makes a difference- but still, no.

I also don't agree with this statement from your site:

Dad & Grandpa before that have always said,

"There has never been a perfect Bull" Gal Chaser is closer than most to being that sire.

I didn't think Bakenhus's raised Milking Shorthorns...and Gold Spear (Grandsire) is certainly not a Juicer..AAAANNNNDDD this guy's momma is related to one of my cows a few generations back and she is certainly not a juicer, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that "Gal Chaser" is a beef Shorthorn bull that has Dairy-Like tendencies....kinda like a "Nancy Boy" on the football team..just doesn't make sense...

CPL":1mnda278 said:
Looking at your website and seeing he is a milking shorthorn, it makes a difference- but still, no.

I also don't agree with this statement from your site:

Dad & Grandpa before that have always said,

"There has never been a perfect Bull" Gal Chaser is closer than most to being that sire.

Nah, CPL, He's not a Milking Shorthorn, but he sure does look like one.

Does anyone here know how to evaluate working cattle :roll: ? The bull is out on pasture and yes he is a little high off the ground. But you fatten this guy get him in his winter hair coat and a few months in the show barn and alot of you guys would be in love with the bull. So as i tell my customers when selling a bull or his semen a good picture will sell a every straw. The bull is a bit high off the ground for me but he is long ,smooth and appears to have enough butt for a shorty. Just remember shorthorns are not supposed to look like belgian blues. If they do it is all hair, fat and a good fit. If mated to the short deep cows i would like to see the heifers he produces i have a funny feeling alot of jr showmen would be trying to buy those heifers. Remember there are all types of cows and i can see this bull working.

I think I was a bit harsh...cows got out this morning..we had a couple switches go out on fans in the show barn..and to top it all off, my dreaded FFA Advisor came over this morning...not to mention the heat...I apologize for being so forward.

Allow me to rephrase what I said.

The bull does not have a Dairy pedigree (well, he does, but it is waaaay back in there), but he does look a little bit like a Dairy Bull. This is probably the "old school" genetics resurfacing..remember that Shorthorns used to be all dual-purpose. I think he will do fine to produce dual-purpose cattle. He is not as heavy muscled as I would like, but then again, I do not produce dual-purpose Shorthorns. He should add performance and muscling capabilities to those Dairy Shorthorn cows.

Ta Da!

Oh and I forgot to say that Bakenhus Shorthorns produce some very nice cattle, and it looks like this Gal Chaser has found his "niche".

SK I hope you are joking, there is a difference between working clothes and just looking terrible. This bull is actually in decent shape, his ribs aren't sticking out, his spine isn't showing, he has a little extra meat on him, he is around a 5.5 BCS. You can accuratly look at an animal in that situation. THis bull has no rear, lacks any kind of depth, and yes looks dairy.

Just because a bull is wearing "his working clothes" doesn't mean they can't be evaluated. It's the best time to evaluate them. Yes this bull could put on some weight, what used bull couldn't.

OCF this is a shorty bull. Not supposed to be as heavily muscled as a FB limo bull. If you look at the picture you can see the shadow behind the shoulder and see how evident the chine is as well you can see the pin bones and tail head from what i see the bull could put on about 400 lbs. Just because spinal bones aren't protuding doesn't mean this bull is in good shape. As far as the rear end he is a shorty without 6 inches of fluff on his butt.Having the rear leg on the picture side takes away what quarter he does have. You have to give it up that he is smooth and long as for the depth it is an optical illusion because he is tall. It is a horrible amature picture, i would put money on it if a pro was hired to picture this bull and some serious time was put into the bull i could get a picture that would have semen literally flying out of the tank. There are always cows that will work with certain bulls. Personally i like the extension in the bull, stubby short cows he would work or do you think short stubby cows should be bred to little pud bulls. Proper presentation would make this bull look a heck of a lot better.
I agree working condition is the best time to evaluate an animal, but on here it seems that people have this picture of a good animal as one with tons of worked hair fitted to the nine's fattened to the point they can hardly walk. Get a pic of the a clubby bull as mature animals after breeding 60 or 70 head they actually look the same if not worse than this bull.There is a reason clubby sires are pictured all wooled up fitted to the nines as calves and no pictures are ever seen of them as mature bulls in the breeding feild.

I like Alexander The Great better than Gal Chaser. To me, he is
a better looking bull. I'm no real expert, that's just my opinion.

Wow, I'm glad I had nine layers of thick skin because the first layer was burned off. I've viewed this board for about three years finally was brave enough to post a pic. Wow, discussion was brisk...

Yes, Gal Chaser by show bull standards needs 400-500#, but he wouldn't be out doing his job. This picture I agree could more professional done. A pic from last summer drought pasture after he had bred 30 cowsand heifers for 45 days and 30 confirmed pregnant. We don't feed grain to bulls, good fescue pasture and hay is all our cattle need.

Gal Chaser did service 28 cows four months later from this photo in 50 days and had 27 confirmed pregnant. The one open cow had twins and never was the same so was culled.

We are proud of him and yes is full blood beef Shorthorn. We are using him on Milking Shorthorn cows or juicer blood as someone stated. The results have been pretty good for us.

Thank you, skcatlman liked your comments. If we do
start marketing his semen, I'll have a better photo taken. his Genestar test results are in the process. Sire and grandsire have good so hope Gal Chaser does also. I'll post a couple pics of Gal Chaser progeny and see what other discussion will develop.

As hogzilla pointed out the Alexander the Great is all our Nile Valley blood line a dual purpose Milking Shorthorn - just finishing using him now as a yearling. I figured everyone would jump on the juicer bandwagon then. But we selectivly have bred our cows to be dual purpose both beef and milk -- not just meatless wonders as dairy milking shorthorns.

I have seen plenty of Beef Short horns with a lot of muscle. A few have been posted on this forum. I share a pasture with some pretty decent beef shorthorn cows.

The calves look pretty nice.

In presenting an evaluation of ANY animal, especially a breeding bull, The first criteria to consider is - for what is the bull used, or going to be used? In this case, after reading Nile Valley Farm's introduction to this bull, I realize that they consider him an answer to a 'maiden's' prayer. . .that he is a "Milking Shorthorn".

Taken literally, Dual-purpose means "meant to have two uses". That is true in this case. The statement is made that he is "trademarked", and a "great calving ease sire". I don't doubt that statement in the least. There is NOTHING anatomically about him that is "beefy" enough, burley enough, or projecting outwardly enough to cause almost ANY bovine female to have difficulty in delivering a calf sired by this bull.

Some Dual-Purpose breeds are just that - they are NOT a BEEF breed, and they are NOT a Dairy breed. You can fatten him up with a winter hair coat, put him in a show barn, pamper him, brush him, comb him, curl him, pull hair into places that are lacking in substance, glue it to his legs to make him "LOOK" like something that he isn't - and he will BREED like something that he IS - a half-way cow-freshener for a Beef Herd, and a half-way cow-freshener for a Dairy herd! A GOOD picture may sell every straw, but every straw that THIS bull will produce will result in calves that are exactly what he is - a half-way something or other. If you represent him as anything else, you are lying to your customers, and they will find you out in a few months. "GOOD" pictures may lie - but genetics don't, and your customers won't be customers long if you lie to them!

Stamp this bull with your seal of approval if you will, but be darned sure that you KNOW what you are proud of! Don't be barn blind and think that just because he is an "easy calver" he can "Chase any Gal" cow and have acceptable progeny. It depends upon exactly what you are expecting from him. . . .and by the way, in my opinion, he doesn't have enough butt for ANY breeder to use if he has BEEF in mind! Here is a "Funnel Butt" stamper of the First Order.

DOC HARRIS

Not trying to pile on but, this is the wrong place for this kind of cattle.

After looking at your website it is apparent that you are breeding something other than BEEF cattle, looking here for approval might have been a mistake.

If the cattle shown on your website as winners work for you that's great but unfortunately they appear to be neither beef nor dairy.

I don' see milk production records for the dairy side and no real beef production numbers either.

Probably a good idea to stay in your "Dual Purpose" group with pics of this kind of Bull in the future.

You're just asking for a beating over here. Not meant to be cruel but you asked!

The bull doesn't impress me. The calves look good. Fourty years ago a few daries ran Shorthorn bulls with their hiefers for calving ease, but later switched to Jersey bulls because of the poor milk production from the Shorthorn cross.

How about posting some of your Dairy production records?

I have seen beefier Shorthorns; but I kind of like those dual purpose cows on the web site. They are not muscular enough to straightbreed; but I can certainly see where they would work in a 3 way crossbreeding system with more powerful beef cattle.

Latest posts