Select Sire Hereford for making Baldies ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Been looking in the 2019 catalog for a baldy maker. Some nice young bull numbers but...
Anyone there you would consider a proven cow maker?

I like the Cheyenne(Hereford) steers I have seen.. Haven't seen any heifers or cows out of him. All the steers were out of Angus cows.

Small town kid I think is bull I'm thinking of at accelerated , select owns accelerated now so you can get any of their bulls from select

Stocker Steve said:
Till-Hill said:
Small town kid I think is bull I'm thinking of at accelerated , select owns accelerated now so you can get any of their bulls from select

He looks thick. How do his daughters turn out ?
guys that used his are just calving first ones this spring

Small Town kid daughters milk good. Really like our Sheyenne daughter. She is larger frame and milks like crazy. Always weans off a big calf. Also I believe that Select has Excede. We really like his daughters and the udders on the are amazing.

MRRherefords said:
Small Town kid daughters milk good. Really like our Sheyenne daughter. She is larger frame and milks like crazy. Always weans off a big calf. Also I believe that Select has Excede. We really like his daughters and the udders on the are amazing.

Would you go with Small Town Kid or Excede for moderate framed but thick replacements?

Stocker Steve said:
MRRherefords said:

Would you go with Small Town Kid or Excede for moderate framed but thick replacements?

I personally would go Excede, but that's just my opinion. Really like his daughters.

MRRherefords said:
Stocker Steve said:
MRRherefords said:

I personally would go Excede, but that's just my opinion. Really like his daughters.
Hereford's "Baldy Maker Index" breed average BMI $322

Excede's BMI $422 (top 4%)
Small Town Kid BMI $389 (top 12%)

BMI index is to be used to identify Hereford bull profitability when used on mature Angus cows.

technically it's called "Baldy Maternal Index"...
I just like calling it the "Baldy Maker Index" it seems more to the point.

Son of Butch said:
BMI index is to be used to identify Hereford bull profitability when used on mature Angus cows.

I think the bmi is more of a terminal profitability index......?

Midtenn said:
Son of Butch said:

I think the bmi is more of a terminal profitability index......?
No sir.

CHB$ is the Terminal index where Hereford bulls are mated to mature Angus cows.
The CHB production index takes advantage of complimentary breeding with the Angus cow.
Certified Hereford BEEF index has significant weight on Carcass Weight and is negative for back fat
and is positively weighted for Rib Eye and Marbling to ensure optimum end product merit.
CHB index has no emphasis on fertility and assumes that no replacement females are retained.

BMI The Baldy MATERNAL Index is a Maternally focused index.
This index places significant weight on fertility and longevity of females.
It has a slightly positive weight on Weaning Weight, Mature Cow Weight, and Milk which accounts
for enough growth, but ensures females do not increase inputs.

I haven't done any breeding to Herefords to date (had Herefords growing up) but just picked up some Ft. Knox semen from select sires for making some baldies on some of our commercial angus. Really don't know what I'm looking for in Herefords but want to give baldies a go and see how they price for us at sale. Plus a little color in the field of black hides would be nice. ;)

littletom said:
Sorry to hijack. Any Hereford to recommend to use on heifers?

No first hand knowledge, but last fall at a Hereford consignment sale. The auctioneer referred to Boyd Ft. Knox as a heifer bull that could be used on Angus heifers. I believe that bull is through Select Sires. Through ABS I have heard that R294 is a good heifer bull.

Ky hills said:
littletom said:

No first hand knowledge, but last fall at a Hereford consignment sale. The auctioneer referred to Boyd Ft. Knox as a heifer bull that could be used on Angus heifers. I believe that bull is through Select Sires. Through ABS I have heard that R294 is a good heifer bull.

Had a couple of those R294 calves by black 2nd calvers. I would agree he should work on black heifers as good as any hereford would.

Midtenn said:
Ky hills said:
littletom said:

Had a couple of those R294 calves by black 2nd calvers. I would agree he should work on black heifers as good as any hereford would.

Admittedly my only knowledge of the the R294 bull comes from the ABS catalog, and hearing other folks. If memory serves me correctly I remember Dun stating that they used the bull on Red Angus heifers with good results.
I typically prefer breeding heifers if any breed to Angus Bulls. Last year I did have some calves out of registered Hereford heifers that were bred to our moderate BW Hereford bull, they calves without incident with one exception a young crossbreed heifer that got bred prior to weaning. Had to pull that calf. I bought a Ft Knox son with the intention of eventually using him on our Hereford and Hereford influenced heifers.

Double R Ranch said:
I haven't done any breeding to Herefords to date (had Herefords growing up) but just picked up some Ft. Knox semen from select sires for making some baldies on some of our commercial angus. Really don't know what I'm looking for in Herefords but want to give baldies a go and see how they price for us at sale. Plus a little color in the field of black hides would be nice. ;)

Both my wife's grandparents and mine had commercial Hereford cows and usually Hereford Bulls. We have been transitioning back to Herefords for a few years now with pretty good results. The BWF calves especially heifers will usually sell with or above Angus type. The steers typically do well too. I have really liked the result of those crossbred calves. We have a fairly local market that has a Hereford influence sale twice a year which makes it good if we have some straightbred Hereford calves to sell. BWF seem to do well enough at regular sales but since that sale is like a CPH 45 the calves are graded and commingled into larger groups which is usually advantageous unless the market prices drop before the sale time comes around.

Latest posts