Roundup 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

CowboyRam

Reaction score
2023 roundup is complete, well almost. I have a bull with a broken leg still at the ranch, and I'm not sure when I will get a chance to go get it in. It may be next week before I do.
I had a guy that I helped me brand calves that wanted to help roundup cows this fall, so I said I could always use an extra hand. He also brought another young cowboy (27) to help. The drive up to the ranch his kid was saying he wanted to find a cowboying job, but he wanted $40,000 per year. These two guys wouldn't make a pipal on a cowboys butt. A buddy of mine brought a high school freshman that was one heck of a good cowgirl. My uncle was supposed to have a horse in for me to ride, but he forgot. I guess I should called and reminded him Saturday evening, so I ended up using my uncles UTV; ended up having a flat tire. By the time we got the tire changed my buddy and the cowgirl had the had all the cows rounded up. Those two guys, I can't even call them cowboy's because that is such a stretch, we moving the herd east, and my buddy and the cowgirl was coming back to help dad with two pairs he was having trouble with, dad was on the ATV. I finally caught up with the herd, I had no idea where dad was, I was working both sides of the herd with the UTV. Those two so called bodies on a horse was not riding the herd, the would let them spread out, about as fast a I could keep them pushed back to the herd. We finally got them going down an old railroad bed, got to the gate that happened to be open, it must have been left open by a hunter. So cow went thru, and the rest were going up the fence. All I could do was watch as the things go south really fast, as I could not get off the railroad bed with the UTV. Not one time did I see those to get their horses in anything more than a walk. I was besides myself, thinking feed those horses some iron, lets go. Fortunately by this time my buddy and the cowgirl final caught up to us with the two pair. Well we were lucky nothing went south, got them all in the neighbors corral. It was almost 5pm by this time, and I had no idea where dad was. He got lost there, I think this may be dad's last roundup. He finally did get to the corral after everybody else had headed back for Riverton. I was a bit worried about dad, he won't drink any water if he does not feel dry; by the time we got back house he didn't look good, I made him drink glass of water. He did looking better this morning when we were loading the trucks. I didn't let him in the corral, but he just can't move any faster. We got the cows sorted off from the calves, and my cousins and her husband's cow sorted off. They must of missed those five pairs when the moved their cows. All In all everything work out fine.

The wife always complains about about some people who came to help at her ranch down on the Nevada line. They went out to gather and move and those people came in with 3 cows and 7 calves. Where are those other 4 cows? They weren't planning on weaning. Sometimes free help isn't help at all. And there are a lot of people who think if you can ride a horse you are a cowboy.

The wife always complains about about some people who came to help at her ranch down on the Nevada line. They went out to gather and move and those people came in with 3 cows and 7 calves. Where are those other 4 cows? They weren't planning on weaning. Sometimes free help isn't help at all. And there are a lot of people who think if you can ride a horse you are a cowboy.
I'm not that good of a rider, but I will at least get the horse to move. The young guy wants a cowboying job. From what I seen he will be fired the first day. It's a good thing dad didn't see them, he would have come unglued.

Latest posts