Rotten Rabbit

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
My son got a Netherland Dwarf rabbit. It is a male that has not been altered. He has bitten my son several times and has drawn blood. He also hisses at him.
Any suggestions on what to do about him?

This is our first rabbit.

Since he's so small, a rabbit pot pie would be more appropriate then fried or stwed rabbit

dun":3gtxmygq said:
Since he's so small, a rabbit pot pie would be more appropriate then fried or stwed rabbit

Eat him or cut his nuts out.

They are not the most intelligent creatures - the rabbit that is - not easy to train - hmmmm ..... either are kids - but another story.

Yup - nut him or eat him or he can "escape and be eaten by coyotes" and be replaced by something else.

Have fun

Bez>

Dun I'm laughing myself silly. I have already suggested that to him.
Thanks Bez. I don't know how to denut a rabbit, so I will give the vet a call.
By the way we named him Turdnick, cause he is such a turd.

I used to raise rabbits and show them in stock shows. I've won a few Grand Championships with them.

one thing all reputable rabbit breeders will tell you is that biting in rabbits is genetic. any rabbit that bites a judge or competitor is d.q. Breeders will cull any that bite.

All of my rabbits, you could put your finger in their mouth and they would not bite.

And - I cannot think of anyone who neuters rabbits.

I have a friend who had a mean as he11 rabbit. It beat the honk outta her dogs so bad that they wound up at the vet's.

One day she was looking outside and saw the dogs digging under the fence, something they'd never done before. When they got the hole dug they went off by themselves to another corner of the yard and laid down. Before long the rabbit went to investigate the hole...and was never seen again. When I asked the friend if she went to look for the rabbit she just started laughing, and laughing...dang near got hysterical laughing. :shock:

Alice

I luv herfrds":1yn597dp said:
Son was asking if Grandpa Mike would tan the hide for him.

There's an easy tanning process for rabbits and kid hides, may work on deer too but never tried it. You use sulfuric acid and salt and is a whole lot easier then the standard tanning methods.

oscar p":yurn8wus said:
Cut him like a hog. Same as a cat. I've cut all my barn tom cats.

How hard is it to cut a cat. Our barn cat population is getting out of control and my wife is threatened to report me and my dad if we resort to the same "control measures" as we've used in the past.

Horticattleman":1wxlqf2v said:
oscar p":1wxlqf2v said:
Cut him like a hog. Same as a cat. I've cut all my barn tom cats.

How hard is it to cut a cat. Our barn cat population is getting out of control and my wife is threatened to report me and my dad if we resort to the same "control measures" as we've used in the past.
I sent you a pm with instructions. Let me know how the offical cat cutting goes.

Can you band the rabbit? :oops:
We band our calves at birth, that is why I am asking.
Can you use lamb bands instead? I know calf bands are too big.
Will he chew on them?

I had a Dutch Giant that scratched the crap outo f both my arms when I was trying to treat him for eat mites. I had scars for most of that school year. I don't mess with rabbits much, although my best friend used to show them and I would go with her. We went to an all night rabbit show once in summer because it was too hot during the day and it was an un-airconditioned venue. It was pretty strange. All these dazed and exhausted people wandering around with rabbits at three in the morning...

I luv herfrds":16jizo8z said:
Any suggestions on what to do about him?

I'd say fry him slowly in an iron skillet, in another pot I'd be making up a heap of mashed taters and some green beans in another pot. After the rabbit is fiinished, make some gravy in that skillet. While all of this is going on - somebody needs to be making some biscuits. Serve with a very tall glass of iced tea!

Problem solved - no vet bills, no steer rabbit running around!

Rabbits don't make good pets. If anyone tells you they can be...they're nuts. I have to say that the lop eared ones tend to be the tamest..dwarf breeds the meanest.

Thanks TedH71. Never knew that til now.
Son is now talking about getting a female and breeding them. Tried telling him that it is NOT a good idea because there is not a market in this area for rabbits except for one guy I know. He likes them fried.

Biteing-hissing rabbits should NOT be bred!! that dispostion
thing--Ask son if he wants a WHOLE BUNCH of bitters/hissers

Rabbit is going to the vet to be fixed on Monday. Soonest they could get him in. Vet clinic here didn't want to do him. Lazy bums :x
If he is still biting then it will be either stew or roast. That is the agreement. Husband doesn't like it, but son came up with it.

May have just lucked out. The rabbit was in his outdoor hutch when we got hit with a big dust devil, knocked the hutch over and he escaped. Tried to catch him last night, but couldn't. Now can't find him this morning. Hurray! :D
Son's not too happy, but I sure won't miss that little biter.
Neutrering him helped a little bit, but not much. Still was biting.

Latest posts