Ribeye and Marbling

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
I posted a similar question a couple of months ago, and either didn't get a solid answer or if I did it didn't sink in. Does marbleing and ribeye have a connection? Meaning, it seams that reading epd's you either can get a good IMF or a good REA, not both. I do realize lots of animals out there with both REA and IMF low. I didn't want to hijack another post so here quote that sparked my interest again.

ollie?":1jcpn53j said:
Sounds pretty good. I'd like a little more REA but that's hard to get with that much marbling.

Thanks, Alan

They are somewhat antagonistic traits. It's not impossible to get both but you have to breed for it.

In Angus, the genetic correlation between %IMF and UREA is -0.04.

In other words, they are NOT related genetically.

Phenotypic correlations are higher, around 0.20 but that still means that only 4% of the variation in one trait is attributable to the other.

Badlands

Badlands":2xge8pt4 said:
In Angus, the genetic correlation between %IMF and UREA is -0.04.

In other words, they are NOT related genetically.

Phenotypic correlations are higher, around 0.20 but that still means that only 4% of the variation in one trait is attributable to the other.

Badlands
Interesting. Have you got a link to look at. I've always felt from personal experience it was easy enough to get one or the other but harder to get both.

I looked them up by hand, ollie.

My comments and experience are not in contradiction to yours, however.

And as we work toward an extreme in one trait or the other, it sure seems harder to find enough of the other trait.

It takes time, but as long as we don't insist on maximizing one while trying for the other, we probably won't give up as much. Unfortunately, the slow and steady approach to improvement isn't real favorable, everyone want's a quick-fix.

Badlands

Hey guys, just to throw a kink into this discussion,,, the charolais bull i am asking for you comments on right now has less then a .1 difference in Marbling to REA and his Marbling in in the top 4% of the breed just .04 off of being in the top 1% rank....

Why are we going from one extreme to the next.. wouldn't it be better to use bulls that are both in the top lets say 10% of the respected breeds for both REA and Marbling.... This would increase the breed by having animals that excels both in the REA and Marb not just a extreme EPD that has draw backs...

While we are chasing Ribeye and Marbling, the Tenderness trait might pass right by us.

Dusty":3hxu889w said:
Hey guys, just to throw a kink into this discussion,,, the charolais bull i am asking for you comments on right now has less then a .1 difference in Marbling to REA and his Marbling in in the top 4% of the breed just .04 off of being in the top 1% rank....

Why are we going from one extreme to the next.. wouldn't it be better to use bulls that are both in the top lets say 10% of the respected breeds for both REA and Marbling.... This would increase the breed by having animals that excels both in the REA and Marb not just a extreme EPD that has draw backs...
Dusty I am not an EPD coolaid drinker. I am curious about your bulls actuals when you get them. There are bulls that excell in both areas. You probably even have one but I would still want to see the actual data.

Latest posts