Recommended disifection post scour?

Help Support CattleToday:

SCRUBS620

Reaction score
I had two sale barn holstein bucket calves (I know :oops: ). They both had scours which led into watery diarrhea. I had both of them together in a 10x10 run in shed. I know you are not supposed to house them together but they were together at the sale and I did not have separate places to put them. After doctoring them for about a week the one stopped eating. After more antibiotics, electrolytes and even an IV he did not make it. I moved the other one to a warmer location because of the cold snap we got last week. The other one is doing fine and his poop has returned to normal. I have several questions:

1. The shed had sawdust bedding over rubber mats, what do I need to do to besides replacing the sawdust before I put the other calf back in.

2. Is there a certain disinfectant I could spray it down with to kill whatever is left?

3. I have a couple of other 300 lb beef calves that I have kept away from the shed so far. Will it be safe to let them into the shed once I replace the sawdust? Will they be old enough to fight off or have developed an immunity to whatever caused the scours or do I need to keep them out of it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I would use the old stsndby bleach and water and wash the mats, walls and ceiling till the stuff runs off.

dun

In addition to what dun said, I believe I would pull those mats and spray the bottom side, and under them.

Latest posts