Pineapples

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
i have a few pineapple plants i started from the crowns of pineapples i bought at the grocery store. they have grown well here and made pretty nice plants. I'm wondering if anyone else has had success getting a pineapple plant to fruit. Supposedly, ethylene produced from rotting apples and other fruits will cause bromeliads to flower. since the pineapple is in the family bromeliaceae it stands to reason that it should cause pineapples to flower and fruit as well. Does anyone know any other tricks?

beefy im not sure what would make them flower.i cut a couple trees down for my neighbor a couple months ago and while i was there he showed me hi pinapple plants.he told me all he does is cut the top of the pineapple off with a couple inches of the flesh still on then he submerges the flesh part in plain water until roots form.he says it gets fairly smelly and nasty looking but says it always works for him.i have my first 2 plants started and havent checked them since putting them in water.i cut the bottoms out of 2 litter soda bottles about 4 inches up to soak them in.im glad you posted this cause it reminded me of mine so i guess ill go check them.

Beefy how long are you leaving them covered? This is the only way known to my source, but she couldn't remember how long they were left in the bag.

i dont know-- mine are in pots, i'm going to plant some in the ground here this year. i would guess jsut a few days maybe a week would be plenty but i dont know. maybe two weeks as long as the plastic is clear.

as far as rooting them, i only leave mine in water a couple of days to a week. if they dont root in the water they will in the soil if you keep it most. after that keep it moist but not wet b/c they will rot easily.

Beefy":2xmx0nz8 said:
i dont know-- mine are in pots, i'm going to plant some in the ground here this year. i would guess jsut a few days maybe a week would be plenty but i dont know. maybe two weeks as long as the plastic is clear.

as far as rooting them, i only leave mine in water a couple of days to a week. if they dont root in the water they will in the soil if you keep it most. after that keep it moist but not wet b/c they will rot easily.
beefy how long does it take for them to mature or start fruiting?

i dont know but i have seen some little dinky plants in walmart and homedepot with fruit on them. the plant was no bigger than a softball with a fruit about the size of a tennis ball.

My aunt has a greenhouse. My mom cuts the tops off of pineapples, leaving a couple of inches of fruit, and puts it in a shallow bowl on top of a paper towel. She waters it every day. After a few weeks, the top gets moved to a pot, where it then gets introduced to the greenhouse. WOW! When they have warm moist air and plenty of water, they go to town. I've seen a bunch of them grow well, and they will inevitably sprout up and produce a new pineapple through the old one's leaves.

Ever seen someone sprout an alvacado with the seed, three toothpicks and a glass of water in the windowsill?

yeah, my mom does that all the time. i hate avocados.its like chewing on a stick of butter.

carrots are another thing easy to root in a windowsill. and african violets, coleus, gardenias, etc.

Beefy":33tn692r said:
i have a few pineapple plants i started from the crowns of pineapples i bought at the grocery store. they have grown well here and made pretty nice plants. I'm wondering if anyone else has had success getting a pineapple plant to fruit. Supposedly, ethylene produced from rotting apples and other fruits will cause bromeliads to flower. since the pineapple is in the family bromeliaceae it stands to reason that it should cause pineapples to flower and fruit as well. Does anyone know any other tricks?
A Pineapple will take 2-3 years before they will flower.If you're lucky.

Beefy the tropical palnt lady I used to know always cut some slots in the bags. Never a completely closed bag. But I still can't remember how long she left them in.

Latest posts