Photos...Photos...

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
I've just added a BUNCH of photos to our website. They include photos of our facilities, cattle & horses, and other things. Will appreciate y'all visiting us a spell!

P.S.: Easier than posting on Photo Gallery here and much more "PC" than posting bunch of photos on message board... ;-)

Nice site, good to see someone who has a breeding program in place. Nice cattle as well. I am sure glad I don't have to work animals with horns like that.

plbcattle":17gykih2 said:
Nice site, good to see someone who has a breeding program in place. Nice cattle as well. I am sure glad I don't have to work animals with horns like that.

Thanks! :)

Now for the "Truth"...lol.

All of our Longhorns (Bulls, Heifers, Cows) are trained to respond to verbal commands and hand signals. Longhorns are quick learners with very good memories. Wasn't a big deal to do this. One person can easily move them down an alley, across an alley to another pasture, diagonally across to another pasture, into corral, etc. At our November TAHC accreditation Vet work, our Vet and his assistant were AMAZED at how easily ours were worked. My wife even straddled couple in our "Medina Hinge" squeeze area to help lift a tail so Vet could do TB test. Cows just stood very still. The Vet guys just "dropped their jaws" after seeing how calm our 1840# black bull (58" hip ht.) was in the working area...he has about 65" of horn...(not like some of the commercial cattle they had dealt with)... Of course, part of our "secret" is daily contact and frequent walking around them in their respective areas.

On other hand, a stranger might have a problem trying to "steal one" if he/she didn't know their personalities or methods to move them... guess this is good insurance...lol.

Longhorns know exactly where the tip of their horns are and none have shown any aggression to their peers or to us (couple of cows with NEW calves ARE very protective...we don't push our luck with those...)

Even picking out one in a 6 foot wide chute area going to our Medina Unit, Vet & Assistant, just walked on one side, tapped the next animal, and he/she passed by carefully tipping horns to avoid the pipe fence sides AND the Vet guys.

One of secrets is to work Longhorns slowly and not panic them; other secret is to have and breed mild-mannered cattle and get to know each of their personalities and be around them on a daily basis...

But...if you don't know their temperaments, pecking order, or act afraid around them...well, they "could" be protective... They are curious animals and welcome our visitors...however, we brief all visitors on what to do and not do around them...do the same with any we well to new purchasers so they know how to continue our management strategies at their new home.

With our verbal commands and hand signals ours will "come," "stop," "stay," "turn," etc. However, we haven't taught any to "SIT/STAY" yet... ;-)

We work close with ours as well. We amaze people because ours back on command.

I had a fit with our steer this morning he tought he could eat out of the creeper and I kept saying no, he would back out but the minute I turned my back he was right back in, I fussed and he back out. So bratty! They all know if you work with them enough they know you voice, just like your kids. Just takes patience and understanding.

Mine coming running when they "hear" my truck coming. By the time I get inside the gate all the cows are lined up and waiting for some cubes. Sometimes I just drive by and don't stop just to make them crazy! ( evil smirk) They stand at the fence crying. Spoiled rotten cows.

LonghornRanch":13zk8j6y said:
Mine coming running when they "hear" my truck coming. By the time I get inside the gate all the cows are lined up and waiting for some cubes. Sometimes I just drive by and don't stop just to make them crazy! ( evil smirk) They stand at the fence crying. Spoiled rotten cows.

My husband does that! :mad:

Alice

Bill,
Cows look great. Hows Gracie's calf looking? She looks good in the pic as a 3month old... growing good?

Ryan

Latest posts