photos from May

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
Today's ones first. The milk vat is not supposed to look like this - bizarre weather might have caused it to overfreeze, was 4 C at end of milking last night, frost overnight, sun all day today and drizzle again after dark.

ve_haf_a_problem.jpg

The pup's finished hosing down the yard and on to the next chore
Can.jpg

Milkers on oats and italian ryegrass
oats1.jpg

215_eyes_Can.jpg

Took this one today as well:
autumn_colours.jpg

When I get my own farm I'm going to plant some
walnuts_and_chestnuts.jpg

Can
can_far_view.jpg

dry cows and heifers heading for the gullies
dry_cows1.jpg

mountain_cloud.jpg

woolshed.jpg

irrigator
effluent_irrigator.jpg

Got permission to graze the sheep paddocks
in_the_sheep_paddock.jpg

looking_for_336.jpg

full_moon.jpg

across_the_road.jpg

evening_poplars.jpg

evening_light.jpg

in daylight
day_time_poplars.jpg

cats_sleeping.jpg

also got photos of Can sleeping on that same duvet... popular place.

ga.prime - no, I haven't, unless the occasional very short person in town is one... can't see their feet usually.

jrn, I'd need to go look see if the brand name is on it, it's an ecostream or some fancy modern thing like that. It's very good, best effluent irrigator I've worked with so far but that might just be because it's only a couple of years old, not thirty or fifty. Had trouble once when the 'stop' lever got bent and hence failed to stop it, so I keep an eye on that... not sure how it happened.

Nice pics indeed.. your country looks similar to ours, (especially if you go 50 miles east of us).

Looks like you have some nice thistles!

Nesikep":23yf6uwt said:
Nice pics indeed.. your country looks similar to ours, (especially if you go 50 miles east of us).

Looks like you have some nice thistles!

I deny ownership of those thistles 336 is hiding behind. That's the part of the farm I don't lease.
I can show you some real nice ones though...
pbRIMG0107.jpg

Some of those paddocks are looking a bit rough now we've had a few frosts - knocked the clover right back and it turns out where there was thick clover bare patches are showing again, like it was last year at this time.

another thirty newly dry cows joining the herd:
new_dry_cows_join_the_group.jpg

had words with the farm owner but he is still convinced that his free draining soils are suitable for a herd walking twice daily from pasture to shed. And forbids the very idea of putting durable material on the tracks... even though the stone could be dug from his own farm.
a_suitable_track_of_free_draining_material.jpg

btw, I am keeping my eyes open for another place. It's only a matter of time till a human or bovine is seriously injured on that.
pull_out.jpg

regrowth of annual ryegrass after grazing the oats - the dark strip was grazed yesterday and the day before, the light green regrowth the day before that.
oats_and_irg.jpg

on_their_knees.jpg

Just across the fence, where the hemlock was is an area that wasn't grazed from August till December after I'd pulled/chopped all the flowering hemlock. I let the dairy cows in to trample down the long grass and eat what they wanted, and dry cows have grazed the regrowth out hard twice since then. Walking through it the other day there's very few clumps of surviving old grass in the area - but a thick reseed has sprung up.
new_growth.jpg

Still pulling hemlock as it appears. In some places it's appearing in the hundreds.
hemlock.jpg

This one is a simmental cross. Yes, she's a dairy heifer.
si_ental_cross.jpg

simmental_cross.jpg

trees.jpg

No more for May. i took photo today of a severed camera usb cable... the first thing the pup has destroyed since she arrived.

Latest posts