pasturing goats and horses together????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bayoucowgirl

Reaction score
I have a question for those more knowledgable in horse care than I. Are there any problems or diseases that a horse can develop from running in a pasture that also contains goats? I know that running goats and cows together has a symbiotic benefit for both as it cuts down on the worm problem. However, I been told that it is harmful to horses to run with goats. How about it, folks?

Not so much trouble for the horse as for the goat. It say's in one of my wife's old vet tech books. That if theirs been a horse on or in your pasture in the last 20 years you need to give your goats a teatnus shot. Horses are a big contributer of tetnus.

Goats will eat lots of things including your horses tail.Other than that not a big deal.

I have 2 horses that run them out of their field. I have a gelding who could care less if the goats are in his field.Donkies don't like goats at all. My jack tried to kill an escapie goat. I had a hard time getting that goat away from him. I'd watch to see if their going to be okay.

not exactly the same but i have a sheep that is kept with a clydesdale only because it makes feeding easier they both get alfalfa. they get along fine as long as the sheep stays at least 5 feet away from the clyde. the big guy stomps if the little one gets to close.

For many years goats were put in with throughbred race horses.Often times when the horse was on the road away from his stablemates they would fret, so that was a way to clam them down.It works well if the horse excepts the goat and the goat is dehorned.However the horse could become very attached to the goat as a friend.That is something to consider if you don't think you will want to keep the goat long term. Cindy

Bayoucowgirl":3suec8vh said:
I have a question for those more knowledgable in horse care than I. Are there any problems or diseases that a horse can develop from running in a pasture that also contains goats? I know that running goats and cows together has a symbiotic benefit for both as it cuts down on the worm problem. However, I been told that it is harmful to horses to run with goats. How about it, folks?

We've been doing it for years, as long as there's enough space and you keep the congested areas clean you're fine. Once the goats learn their boundaries with the horses, it is trouble free.

I've done it for years. Great for the pasture as the goats eat the weeds. The trick is to get the horses & goats comfortable & enjoy each other. If they don't, the goats will go everywhere you don't want them. Fences do not hold goats. they stay where they want be.

I dont' think there is any problem with goats and horses in the same field together. Actually one of my friends has a goat in her field with her horse and the goat now acts like a horse and rears and bucks just like a horse does :lol: it is one sight to see lol....and also if they aren't together the mare whinnies and whinnies until they are back where they can see each other, and it isn't because she is wanting an animal near because there are 5 other horses in the field with her....they have just grown attactched to each other! It is very cute!

I put my barrel horse in with a goat one time. The goat got the snot kicked out of it. But it (the goat) is okay. Apparently, my horse don't take to much to goats. So to say the least, I dont mix the two anymore. I have always heard that goats will eat the weeds (like yellow bitter weeds) that can harm a horses system. Also, my friend has a horse that we put in with the goats and to say the least.... the horse has no tail.... the damn goats ATE it!!

always had a nanny goat in with the horses...keeps em from bein kicky with small critters(like kids) around their feet.heard tell they ward off disease in horses but don't see how.Have to restock cuzz the wolves got the last one past winter.have a picture somewhere of that goat sleeping atop my wifes gelding(he was layin down) a few winters back...must o buddied up to keep warm...helluva site.