Paramont Ambush 2172

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Did anyone use this bull and have comments on direct sons and daughters? We used him a little in the late 80s (maybe?) and I do not remember too much one way or the other. There was a home raised son who would herd the cows he was with which can be aggravating. A number of the cows we have now that fit the environment seem to mostly have links back to him. Seems the Angus breed folks moved on to sons and then little is said of them anymore. At one time some of them were well used. Thanks.

The one bull from that line that seems to pop up in pedigrees is
B/R Ambush 28. His EPDs seem to show that he has a high SB but low milk for daughters.
The daughters have good HP though and good CEM. The bottom of the pedigree for him shows up in
some Sydgen and Hoover animals.

Apparently his offspring showed promise on carcass traits so some sons were bred heavily and promoted toward those traits through the use of dams that were also pushed for those traits. Maybe that potential was the part of the fad that keep the average sons and daughters from being thought of value. The 2172 bull was 20 at milk when that was a tad high. Not sure how it drops so quickly in one generation unless he was not stable in that trait or the dams of sons were very weak. I am more interested in cow production and fertility in a pasture system with this question.

Considered using a son, Rockn D Ambush 1531, back when we first turned back to using some Angus sires, 10 years or so ago.
Liked what I saw of him...and, IIRC, he had all 6 of the GeneStar Tenderness gene markers.
Never got around to using him, though.

I used him when he was a young sire....better than average but not top of the herd performance....my recollection is that the daughters were better than the sons....in our herd. but we only kept the top end of the bulls....liked his structure and his pedigree...
he went on to be a record selling bull over his lifetime, so he had some value.

pdfangus":b9pq1p6w said:
I used him when he was a young sire....better than average but not top of the herd performance....my recollection is that the daughters were better than the sons....in our herd. but we only kept the top end of the bulls....liked his structure and his pedigree...
he went on to be a record selling bull over his lifetime, so he had some value.
Jim, Thanks. I have come to the conclusion that the average and better than average cattle that are consistently average and better than average are better than a few flashes in the pan. If the daughters are functional there is 75% of the battle won. I have a grandson in this years group of weaned bull calves and might try breeding a few cows to the original bull in the next year or two.

Latest posts