Never Seen This Before.

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Hauled some 4 Wt's to the salebarn today neighbor rode with me, we decided to stay for lunch and watch the sale.
Longer haired cow's started coming through that were hurting in this heat we kinda of stared at each other. The better cow's had competitive bidding for them.
Then Holstien after Holstien with Jersey after Jersey with a Guernsey thrown in. This went on for so long most everyone started to leave as the only one buying was the order buyer's and they were all going to slaughter. No one run's dairy in this part of the world. I started to bid on a heck of a Guernsey for a nurse cow and backed off she went for 580 buck's.
I am thinking why in the world would you truck this type of cow down here. We didn't even stay for the calf sale as we got tired of watching dairy cow's come through. I seen more Jersey bull's today than I have seen in my entire life.

Seems weird, but maybe the same reason slaughter buyers brought cows from Texas to VA last year and then sent them through the salebarn here. Bid them in at a very inflated price and sent them to the slaughterhouse.

KT I understand the beef cattle as there was some fine cow's come through today and a lot went home with someone going for 1200 to 1600 dollar's. I just couldn't make sense out of the dairy girl's.

Caustic Burno":1a29xbej said:
KT I understand the beef cattle as there was some fine cow's come through today and a lot went home with someone going for 1200 to 1600 dollar's. I just couldn't make since out of the dairy girl's.
Sure seems odd. I watched a foreclosure sale recently of a dairy somewhere in Texas. The method that they were sold meant almost all of them went to slaughter. They sold in groups of young to old sometimes 200 to the group.

KT I understand shipping the beef cattle south, guy's restocking down here, getting better than kill price's for good cow's.
If you are on your toes and know a trucker that is coming down empty you could maybe get your cow's hauled this way pretty cheap.

The part that confused my little brain are kill prices that much worse up north in the drought area that you would ship dairy to a non- dairy area. Knowing coming down here the best your going to get is kill price.

CB- do you have any idea where they came from? I'm guessing a trader up north bought a slew of them and then had them trucked down south to get a better price.

VanC":1cumgjvt said:
CB- do you have any idea where they came from? I'm guessing a trader up north bought a slew of them and then had them trucked down south to get a better price.

None what so ever you could tell the dairy and the beef cattle where from up north as they where suffering in our heat.
As well as there was a lot of full blood Angus, Simm type cattle going through. Most everyone here want's a little ear.
This is another part I found confusing these beef girl's were good cow's look's like the prices would have been better north west or east coast than down south.
There was some really good beef cow's even seen some full blood Shorthorn and that is almost as rare as dairy.
Some poor soul was getting hurt bad by the drought or several up north and was trying to save his ass.
Most of the beef girl's brought a little better as we figured the money was going north.
The kill beef girl's brought good price's ther was just way more good cow's than buyers.

CB word around here is that quite a few of those cattle that went north last year are coming home but more are just going back on pasture. Not a clue why anyone would be selling holsteins down your way tho nor where they would have come from....Louisiana maybe??

TexasBred":2q1qvjfl said:
CB word around here is that quite a few of those cattle that went north last year are coming home but more are just going back on pasture. Not a clue why anyone would be selling holsteins down your way tho nor where they would have come from....Louisiana maybe??

I have been to a rat killin, barn burnin and two county fair's and aint ever seen the like's before.
Every once in a blue moon a Jersey nurse/milk cow will come through.
I haven't seen a Guernsey in this part of the world in the last 40 to 50 year's.
I saw more Holstien's than my entire life except when traveling and drove by a dairy up north.
I have no clue what the average dairy run's but I saw a couple hundred head yesterday at Livingston sale barn.

Are kill prices holding steady in texas around here they have gone down. When you figure in trucking and shrink on cattle i cant see how you make the numbers work on hauling kill cattle very far but then again ive never been called smart

CB those old cows are following the money, Texas slaughter plants have been reportedly slaughtering below capacity due to Texas rains providing feed for the native herd, and also last years sell off of Texas OK cows, limits the cows for slaughter as well. As far as shrink anyone buying cattle already figures shrink into the equation when making initial purchase. $.15 on a pot load is more than worth it. That has reportedly been the average margin.

salebarn junkie":3jg78x1u said:
In bred how far of radius do the slaughter houses usually send buyers out
Here in East Texas, we see packer cow buyers for:
L&H in San Antonio
San Angelo Pack in San Angelo
Lone Star in San Angelo
Caviness in Hereford
ABF in Stephenville
Cargill Meat Solutions has plants all over (Plainview, TX, Wyalusing, PA, Milwaukee, WI process cows and fat cattle)
FPL in Augusta, GA
Central Beef in FL
Florida Beef in FL
Martin Meats in NC
Brown Pack in SC

Latest posts