Need some ideas on flowers

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning":13lcvw3r said:
Does anyone have some good ideas of flowering annuals that chickens won't destroy? (Hardiness zone 3)

Petunias or geraniuns nuthin eats those stinkin things not even the deer.

I put some "stick in the ground" cheap decorative fencing around and the chickens seldom bother to jump over it. A good squirt with the hose when you're out watering and catch them in violation will teach some of them. Seems like when things are freshly planted and the ground is disturbed makes them want to get in and scratch the most.

are you having problems with them actually eating the flowers or just scratching them up and to bits?

the only plants that my chickens are completely intolerant of are impatiens. anything else if i can put enough stuff around it until it grows to some size they will leave it alone.

the biggest problem is them scratching for that pearlite or vermiculite or whatever the white foamy looking stuff in potting soil is.

planting a lot of stuff close seems to help, one plant protects another.

but mostly i just put a bunch of empty pots, or old bricks or broken concrete or bird cages or coke crates or plastic cake dishes or fallen limbs or whatever junk i have laying around over anything newly planted until it has time to establish.

goodluck.

Beefy":3ndg8e2w said:
are you having problems with them actually eating the flowers or just scratching them up and to bits?

the only plants that my chickens are completely intolerant of are impatiens. anything else if i can put enough stuff around it until it grows to some size they will leave it alone.

the biggest problem is them scratching for that pearlite or vermiculite or whatever the white foamy looking stuff in potting soil is.

planting a lot of stuff close seems to help, one plant protects another.

but mostly i just put a bunch of empty pots, or old bricks or broken concrete or bird cages or coke crates or plastic cake dishes or fallen limbs or whatever junk i have laying around over anything newly planted until it has time to establish.

goodluck.

Beefy, this is exactly what the problem is, not eating them but messing around in them. We are so dry right now that any little patch of dirt becomes a dust bath. So thanks for the tips and thanks to everyone else for your ideas too. When we can actually plant things here without threat of frost, I will try the impatients and petunias.

no, no, i meant intolerant of impatiens as in they will not allow them to grow. thats the only plant i have ever completely failed to protect from chickens.

I am enjoying my first unmolested garden and flower beds in years since I got rid of the chickens. It's nice!

Latest posts