Murray Greys

Help Support CattleToday:

The world Murray Grey congress is on in Australia later this year in Western Australia.
They are usually fairly prolific at most shows here. The breed wins lots of steer competitions.
I like the cross with Brahman.
They never seem to be as big in frame in other areas,as they are in the area where they were developed in the upper Murray valley between New South Wales and Victoria.
At most shows this year breeders are making an extra big effort to have large numbers at shows.
Murray Greys were our greatest opposition at a show we attended with our South Devons last weekend.
They beat me in some classes and we reciprocated in others

Colin

Frankie":2nvqy776 said:
msscamp":2nvqy776 said:
UG":2nvqy776 said:
I've been curious about MG's for years, but for whatever reason have never tried them. Probably my biggest reservation for trying them is that we focus on producing breeding stock for the commercial industry. I just sense that it would be struggle trying to sell MG bulls to commercial producers...I may be surprised. There may be a good demand from those producers looking for calving ease bulls or for the smaller producers that feed out the majority of their calves and sell freezer beef.

Please forgive my ignorance here, but what are 'commercial breeders'? Between the new language, EPD's, etc, etc. I'm so confused! I don't remember any of this stuff from the good ol days. There are more darn initials when it comes to cattle than there are with rocket science! :cry: :cry:

Now, now, calm down.
"Commercial breeders" = meat producers
"Seedstock" providers usually sell their registered (or purebred, depending on the breed) animals to commercial breeders to use with crossbred animals to produce the beef sold in supermarkets.

Thanks!! It's slowly coming together for me. Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions and respond to this post! I appreciate it very much. :D :D :D

msscamp":2y99riya said:
cherokeeruby":2y99riya said:
Wasn't aware that it was. It is an excellent breed. I believe it was developed in Australia from one shorthorn cow that always threw silver gray calves when bred to various Angus bulls. Nice blend of two English beef breeds.

Thank you Ruby. I have always thought so, too. A little while back someone posted about which breed would gain in popularity the fastest and Springer Hill Murray Greys answered Murray Grey which prompted posts about Murray Greys being a 'joke'. That is why I'm asking.
I sure dont mind taking credit for saying their a joke. But I shouldnt have done that...if I had just waited until all of these postings you mg breeders said it for me. LOL Read some of your postings....sounds like a joke to me with no hope for a future..because of people..not because of the cattle.
Where can I go to find a single sire set of mg bulls and have 100 to pick a load out of??? The angus people...red or black..can provide lots of choices...so can herefords...so can.... You understand the point???

It takes numbers to have an impact...hobby guys buying 2 or 3 bulls at a time dont make a breed important....no impact...sorry but thats just the way it is. Thats why I say joke

tapeworm":3de3pdk4 said:
msscamp":3de3pdk4 said:
cherokeeruby":3de3pdk4 said:
Wasn't aware that it was. It is an excellent breed. I believe it was developed in Australia from one shorthorn cow that always threw silver gray calves when bred to various Angus bulls. Nice blend of two English beef breeds.

Thank you Ruby. I have always thought so, too. A little while back someone posted about which breed would gain in popularity the fastest and Springer Hill Murray Greys answered Murray Grey which prompted posts about Murray Greys being a 'joke'. That is why I'm asking.
I sure dont mind taking credit for saying their a joke. But I shouldnt have done that...if I had just waited until all of these postings you mg breeders said it for me. LOL Read some of your postings....sounds like a joke to me with no hope for a future..because of people..not because of the cattle.
Where can I go to find a single sire set of mg bulls and have 100 to pick a load out of??? The angus people...red or black..can provide lots of choices...so can herefords...so can.... You understand the point???

It takes numbers to have an impact...hobby guys buying 2 or 3 bulls at a time dont make a breed important....no impact...sorry but thats just the way it is. Thats why I say joke

Yes, I do see your point. It was your post that prompted this thread and I was wondering if you were going to respond and explain your viewpoint. Thank you for doing so.

Latest posts