Midland

Help Support CattleToday:

krenwic":15c4z0pb said:
this forum made me realize why I quit posting on Cattle Today. For those of you who know it all already, why read or even log in. seems like a waste of time to me. good job guys--just lost a source of info in myself. after all, isn't that what these types of forums are for-to learn. advice, take your energy you use on sarcasm and use it to research your cattle operation and where it is headed.
Good advice krenwic. are you gonna follow it?

la4angus":1fmbbzc9 said:
krenwic":1fmbbzc9 said:
this forum made me realize why I quit posting on Cattle Today. For those of you who know it all already, why read or even log in. seems like a waste of time to me. good job guys--just lost a source of info in myself. after all, isn't that what these types of forums are for-to learn. advice, take your energy you use on sarcasm and use it to research your cattle operation and where it is headed.
Good advice krenwic. are you gonna follow it?

Another good post.

Texan":qetiadjs said:
SCfarms":qetiadjs said:
I am going to breed him to some Angus F-1's.
Angus and what F-1? Some other species in the cross? Something to shorten gestation?

SCfarms":qetiadjs said:
I am going to breed for Sep. calves. To get some comm. heifers for the ring. If I like the calves I will breed to get some may heifers.
Or are you going to skip a year of production? Because there's no way that any cattle I know of can have a calf in September and have another one in May. Be a neat trick if you can get it done, though.

Is one Angus cow crossed with a Brahman bull. I will breed for Sep. calves then in Aug. for May calves or wait tile Sept. for June calves. I do like Midland alot.

I have never seen Midland, so I don't have an opinion either way, but here is what was selling his calves at a local breeder's dispersal, "Here's a cow with a calf out of the $202,000 BR Midland."

ollie'":31wxq54i said:
He is an attractive bull. What is his frame and weight? Who bred him? I know br but who is br? Wasn't he one of those dreaded "showbulls"

I don't think Midland was ever shown. He was a top bull on the Midland test and sold there for a record amount to several big operations. Express Ranches here in OK has a piece of him and he's pretty popular in the state. I was curious as to whether anyone outside OK was using him. Apparently some people outside the state do know him.

According to Angus Semen Service catalog, he's a high 6-frame bull, but it doesn't give his weights. That may be available at the Midland Bull Test site? I don't know if they keep old test results available on line or not.

I've only seen yearling or weaned calves by him and they looked good. Of course, they were spiffed up and fed up for sales. I think we're going to get some semen.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments

I like the pictures I've seen of his heifers and haven't come across any in person. I would worry how they would come out on in a commercial operation. As post legged as he is I might guess that they would lack some longevity and I've also heard some rumors about being hard keeping.

Latest posts