martingale

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
first thing i want to say i hate gimmicks and absolutly will not take a short cut, but i have horse that likes to carry his head high.
he is a 5 year old and doesn't have a real foundation so i'm riding him in a hackamore and starting him over like a 2 year old.
he will flex at the poll and drop his head and he may be a little watchy so his head comes right back up, so i spend a lot of time dipping his nose to get him to carry his head lower.
as i stated he is always looking around at EVERYTHING so for him he doesn't like to carry his head that low.
i have thought of trying a martingale but something in my mind tells me it's a gimmick and if you need such a tool you are lacking something in your training.

i want to think that as he gets more comfortable he will relax and his head will naturally come down but i hate to waste the time if there is a better way.

I have used one on a gelding I have that was "high headed" same as yours, not because he is flighty just curious and constantly looking around. I used it as an AID in training, used it exclusively with ground work and later lungeing as it would remind him to keep the head set lower. I like to work out those types of issues on the ground and once they are used to it on the ground the transition to doing it under saddle is much less stressful for both rider and horse.

Have seen some disasterous results when used as a "fix- it" for the problem rather than spending the time to properly train the horse. I'm with you on the gimmick's, I don't think one should rely on anything to fix an issue that really needs to be dealt with through training. Not against using such things as a tool/aid during the training process.

Good luck and have fun with your training!

A properly adjusted running martingale can help when riding with a snaffle bit. It will keep the pressure of the bit on the bars of the mouth so that you won't be pulling at the corners when the horse's head comes up. It teaches the horse to keep it's head down through pressure on the reins. It can give you added control. I wouldn't consider it being a gimmick. It is a tool that has it's place when needed. Some people take it to extremes though.

I bet that a lot of wet saddle blankets will help solve your problem.

I don't think that it would be a good idea to use one with a hackamore.

I hope that he works out for you.

I second the wet saddle blankets. I also like to run the reins between the front legs and tie with a little slack to the d-rings and let them walk around in a roundpen that way. Let him get used to that and then put a little pressure on so he learns to trot that way. Do it when he's fresh so he fights it some and learns it and then go ride him down without trying to keep his head down and then ask him to give to you when he's tired.
If you have it available, turn him out in some nasty steep stuff where he has to walk up and down the hill to get water and feed. Pretty soon he'll learn to stick his nose on the ground and watch where he's going regardless of what else is happening. If he falls down a few times he won't stick his head in the air again when he's walking.

If you consider a martingale a gimmick, I'm sure you will consider this a gimmick. Put a Max Harsha bit in his mouth. Tie your split reigns back on the saddle d rings and let him explore it for about 15 minutes in a round pen. Ride him for a couPle weeks in it. He will flex at the pole after this. It's not a harsh bit. It's just the guys last name.

Wet saddle blankets and a lot more exposure to everything outside his pasture... That head will come down when the horse relaxes. Doesn't do you much good to have the head where you want it if the back is hollow and hind end isn't engaged anyway.

milkmaid":3gxvltkj said:
Wet saddle blankets and a lot more exposure to everything outside his pasture... That head will come down when the horse relaxes. Doesn't do you much good to have the head where you want it if the back is hollow and hind end isn't engaged anyway.

thats what i want to think also but i would think at 5 we should already be at that point.
he's not spooky or looking for boogers and has a nice neck rein so at times i expect more from him.
he doesn't have a good stop or know how to gather himself to stop and doesn't know how to roll back on his hocks and turn without stepping on himself and doesn't seems to know how to place his feet in rough country(might be cause he has his head up and not looking at where he's stepping)

i think he spent a lot of time in a stall.
now he's running loose in fairly rough pasture so maybe he will get better.
i put a few miles on him sunday and was pleased with his progess, he's not sticking his butt in the ground and sliding but he's beginning to learn how to stop.

When he puts his head up to looky-loo bend him the opposite way and make him do some leg yields then get him to do some circles and pretty soon he won't want to looky-loo because of the extra work involved. When you halt back him a few steps so he will learn to stop on his hind end.

Latest posts