Mane loss

Help Support CattleToday:

SilverCharm

Reaction score
About a week and a half ago I noticed a chunk of hair missing out of my horse's mane. It was about six inches from the wither. I thought she may have just rubbed it off but she seems to be losing more. It is about four inches or so long now. I rubbed some M-T-G on the spot a couple times but it has not really helped. M-T-G is supposed to treat skin problems like fungus, rain rot, girth itch, scratches and promote hair growth. Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

cowpunk'd":1jrbwn2e said:
If she is in with a buddy it is probably the buddy chewing on it.

That was my first thought, especially with the hair lose being at the withers. Are horses getting to each other, even over a fence or in the next tunout?

I didn't think it could be the pony who is 7 or 8hh in the pasture with my horse, but it is. I walked out this morning to take a picture and caught the little pony nibbling at it while the other horse was lying down. I knew the pony would not be able to reach my horse's mane while she was standing up, so that was why I didn't think the pony could be chewing on it. Oh, and good news, I can finally see little hairs starting to grow back.

Tea Tree Oil works pretty good too, tastes like Hades!
Normally you only have to use something a couple of times to get the lesson learned.

Latest posts