low milk production

Help Support CattleToday:

sambo

Reaction score
I have a bunch of angus cows that just calved about two weeks ago. They dropped good bags just like they always do. In the last couple days I've noticed that all of them,even the best milkers, seems to be drying up. They have always done good on just grass and hay. Since its all of them, I was wondering if they are missing something

Calves are able to drink more and may be keeping them sucked down. I experience the same thing. I usually give mine a little extra feed if the pasture is week. If all the grass is good they do great as well.

Let me add a few more words. Watch the cows. They normally all lose some condition while they nurse. Just try not to let them get to thin. Also watch the calves and if they do not seem to be growing you may need to supplement.

Weather conditions from year to year can vary enough that the forage although it appears to be of equal quality can sometimes be woefully low in nutritional value.
Try some form of balanced supplement and see if things pick up. If you wait to long to try and figure out the problem you may end up with a bunch of nearly dry cows with runty calves. Body condition is the key to knowing if a cow is milking herself poor.

dun

Scotty, you do mean supplement the cows not calves? Would bag feed do the trick.

Dun, these cows are in as good as shape as they have been all summer long. I can not see a single rib on the first one. Thats the reason I am going crazy over this

sambo":nz7fksmg said:
Dun, these cows are in as good as shape as they have been all summer long. I can not see a single rib on the first one. Thats the reason I am going crazy over this

How are the calves growing? If they aren;t growing as well as you expect and the cows are still in good condition I'ld think that the cows may be cheating them in the milk department. Depending on how many head you're talking about, put out one of the good quality supplemtn tubs and see if anything changes. It may cost a few bucks up front but when you're grasping at straws it's an easy way to eliminate one source of the problem. It's a lot quicker then waiting for a hay/forage analysis. It takes about 3 weeks around here to get anything other then soil analysed.

dun

how do you know if they are milking well or not if you are just going by looks?

IMO if the cow is getting in better condition while she has a calf she is not ultilizing feed for milk. Depending on your forage is how I would choose what to feed. If you are set on hay a higher protein cake, liquid feed would be an option. IMO they stimulate appetite and cause cows to go to forage. If forage is poor and low a 20% cube would be my choice. Supplementing or creep feeding the calves is a tough one. Is it economical. Price of corn now days for me it is not. You might try for the long run better genetics. In the mean time keep an eye on the calves and cows. i wuld also say do not let the cows nurse to long. It in time will decrease production.

sambo":xa0zh7md said:
I have a bunch of angus cows that just calved about two weeks ago. They dropped good bags just like they always do. In the last couple days I've noticed that all of them,even the best milkers, seems to be drying up.
Keep in mind a cow's udder swells when she nears calving, and it takes a week or two for the inflammation to reduce after calving. You may be just seeing normal reduction -- IMO, unless the condition or behavior of the calves leads you to believe the cows are not milking adequately, leave well enough alone.

(That is, of course, assuming the cows have been wormed "recently" and they're on decent feed.)

Latest posts