Lonesome George

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I call this bull "Lonesome George". There is 120 cows and calves in the field. But old George is always well off by himself. He is practicing social distancing. This morning he took it to a whole new level. Got up this morning and here he is in the field in front of the house. You will note in the picture there is a fence and then some trees and then the other cows. Well in those trees is the river. The snow is starting to melt so the river is running pretty high. Good old George crossed the river and crawled through the fence to get away from the other cows. For now he can just stay there. But I am wondering what he will do when the feed truck shows up over on the other side of the river.

The feed truck came and left. George stood up and grazed for a while. Maybe George is just smarter than the other cows. He has about 20 acres with 6 inch grass to himself. The rest of the cows have 36 acres with no grass and they get 4 square bales a day (about 4,800 pounds of grass hay). At some point I need to go find where he got through the fence. I wonder how big of a hole he made.

The cows were all bred months ago. These are all fall pairs. The bulls were turned in back in late October. Any cows that aren't bred when the calves are weaned in May will be headed to the plant. Right now it is a holding pattern for some bulls. There is 8 bulls, counting George, out there with 120 cows. Plan A was to pull the bulls the first of February. We are well past plan A. These are neighbor B's cows and bulls. He has right around 40 bulls. Had we gone with plan A these bulls would have gone to the bull pasture with the other bulls. There were just other things that were more important to do. Here in a few weeks they will need to get pulled to go out with the spring calving cows.

Well George and all his bull friends and bulls who weren't his friends left on Monday. They are now in the bull pasture at neighbor B's place. They need to get rested up as they go to work seriously in just a few weeks. Turned out that there was 10 bulls here not 8. I guess both neighbor B and I need to go back to school to learn how to count.