Leasing Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Never leased one. I have some hear say. hope it will help. If you are the leaser you would want to make sure the leasee has a good helpth program. Word is they seldom do and you will end up with diseased bulls. As the leasee the opposit. Good bulls i have seen leased from 150 to 200 per month. I have seen so so go for 50 to 75 per.

Scotty

Have leased a few- esp calving ease bulls that the other man only needs for a few heifers. Several Banks got into it big in this area several years ago - but all have stopped. They were trying to improve the customers profit by showing using better bulls make better calves and more money.

Weight in and out and a value for lost or excessive condition loss, insurance or death by natural or mis-managed cattle. Registering calves, right to inspect the bull during breeding season (and go do it!!), BSE before and after, vaccinations of the bull and of the herd he is visiting are some of the issues that need to be addressed and that I had problems with.
Best advice- Know the Catteman that wants to lease the bull!! One idea I have used - got it from the dog breeders - is to get my pick of 1 calf - especially if they have decent cattle and it proves to them you have faith in the bull.

Springer Farms, I believe the University of Tennessee has either a lease or "Loan Out" program. I've heard they have some choice bulls. You might check with your Arkansas Dept. of Ag., or local FSA office or USDA office to see if such a program exists.

There is definitely a niche market here. I know of four different people that rent bulls out. All rent on a cash basis for a 90 day term. Never heard of the pick of the litter thing. Prices range around $250. Two of the parties have been doing this for sixteen years that I know of so it must be working for them.

Mom and I rented a bull right after the herd got split and we did rent an angus cost $250.00 for two months.He had a good blood line but we only got one calf( bull had problems).Other person who had bull before us only got 2 calves. We did not know anyone around who would A-I. Bought bull soon there after.We had to have vet come out before bull arrival and ck cows and signed a lease agreement.Owner appoligized and gave us some money back.JHH

I am thinking A-I is the way to go. Going to learn in DEC. :D

Thanks for the replies.I am not looking to lease.I have been approached with a request to lease one of my young bulls. I would rather sell them,but will consider leasing one to help someone out that does not have a bull, or in this case,a bull of breeding age. Not having any experience in these matters,was just trying to get an idea of what would be reasonable and fair.I am considerinig $200.00 a month for a period of 90 days. I just had the vet out to do a bse on the bulls I have available,all around 18 months old.He told me he would not hesitate to put each of them with 50 cows. :) :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":1f39qdo0 said:
Thanks for the replies.I am not looking to lease.I have been approached with a request to lease one of my young bulls. I would rather sell them,but will consider leasing one to help someone out that does not have a bull, or in this case,a bull of breeding age. Not having any experience in these matters,was just trying to get an idea of what would be reasonable and fair.I am considerinig $200.00 a month for a period of 90 days. I just had the vet out to do a bse on the bulls I have available,all around 18 months old.He told me he would not hesitate to put each of them with 50 cows. :) :cboy:

Around here they put the value at 15 dollars a head he needs bred with a minimum of 350 a season.Also the better quality bulls cost more money.We have a guy who has an auction if you buy the bull for $3000 you have the option to lease him for the season for a 3rd of that or $1000.00 then return him or buy him outright if he dies you need to pay in full.

Latest posts