KIMCHI

Help Support CattleToday:

Yes, there are lots and lots of variations. My family makes kimchi out of either napa cabbage or gherkin cucumbers. First they're soaked in a salt brine solution then rinsed and packed into jars with garlic, shredded daikon radish, and ground red chilis. The jars go in the fridge and the flavor improves over time through mild fermentation. I'd describe the flavor as reminiscent of sauerkraut, but with the crisp, crunchiness of a pickle, and a garlic, hot chili flavor. It goes great with meat and rice, like the short rib recipe I posted before.

I got to be a good friend to this sergeant married to a very nice Korean lady [this was waaaay back] She made kimchi. Used a variety of stuff. Mainly cabbage, but other veggies like summer squash, radish, garlic and who knows? She added shrimp, fish sauce. I grew to love the stuff. Hard to find the authentic kimchi. It's got to be made by real Koreans. Anyway, the St Paul Kids came across this place owned by Korean folks that market KIMCHI. It's very very good.

Latest posts