Joint ill

Help Support CattleToday:

So I had the vet look at him today. I had talked to him prior and told him I wanted fluid taken out of the joint and antibiotic in the knee. When he examined him he decided it was more in the joint near the shoulder and elected to treat with shot of az Tran and shot of dex. Left me a shot to give him again Sunday night or Monday morning. See if he improves in the next week or two. Seems to me that unless you want to take calf to university all the rural vets want to do is just give them a couple shots and be on their merry way especially if it's just a commercial calf. I hope he didn't charge me much cuz I could have done that myself. I might just get a big/small(?) needle and do it myself.
That was why we did it. Last ditch effort after veterinary treatments continued to fail. It was quick, easy and effective. Now wish we had done it sooner. Would do it again if needed in the future.

If you pull fluid and it's clear you have a chance. If it's cloudy it won't turn out well in my experience. Actually it seldom works out well in my experience come to think of it. Those I have saved (or survived despite my crude attempts at playing DVM) took a lot of treatments at ridiculously high dosages.

That's one of the reasons I wanted the vet to drain it. I have also heard that if it is clear better prognosis although still poor. It has been so unusually hot and humid here the past few days that I have not done anything with him except feed and water. He is bright and alert just sore in knee and shoulder. Shoulder swelling has gone down and putting some pressure on that leg now. I almost wonder if he didn't hurt his shoulder struggling to get up.

Latest posts