Jerseys

Help Support CattleToday:

Looks healthy, but I bought one that looked about that size for freezer beef for $250 last year. She was a b***h that wanted to kill the sheep/lambs we had so we sold her to the neighbor, quick.

Those aren't "baby heifers" and right now here replacement dairy cattle are going for 1500 to 2500 if bred and closeup... Opens are worth $1.00-1.50 lb... so if they are weaned as they look like they might be and weigh in the 4-600 lb range that is a good and decent price.... You still have another year or more until they are bred and ready to freshen... and I am thinking that someone does not see a profit down the road with the cost of feed and hay...
Would like to know the age and size of them....

I would definitely take a peak at them and get more info if I saw that. See if they look like they could actually breed. That price is cheap either way. My spouse might divorce me though if I went to look at them. :ROFLMAO: I am exceeding my quota of jerseys already.:ROFLMAO:

Watched a nice one sell today for less than 600. 900lbs
One of the auctions I watched Tuesday, it was in Minnesota or South Dakota.....forgot which, sold three 1700 lb culled Holstein milk cows at $1.12 a pound, Sold twenty 3 day old Holstein bull calves, 3 so near dead they toted them into the ring and laid them down in the middle, brought $220 each! And they sold three, 800 lb Corriente steers...way to big to rope...for $1.18 a lb! For the life of me, I can't figure out why! AT 800 lbs you MIGHT could have bull dogged them another year, but usually when they get that old,. they have been roped for a couple of years, ( or more) and won't even run from a horse. I will say they were fat and in as good condition as any there that day, but I wouldn't think you could give $950 for a steer like that. Skin and bones, maybe.... there would be the potential for them to gain on a feedlot. These looked like they had been FINISHED on a feed lot. They were all solid black, though.

Last edited: