Introducing horses to new pasture.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I have two paint weanlings that I have kept penned for a couple of weeks to get them used to me. I'd like to turn them out in the pasture now. I was told that I need to lead them around the property before letting them out. I have 42 acres, so that's a pretty good hike times 2. Is this really necessary?
Many thanks for your input! Bob

"Flag" the fence--put rags on the top wires so the horses can see them..Do you have an older horse or pony to put in with them? One that knows the place..

surveyors tape is about $3 a roll....tie pieces on the mid or top run of wite so it can be readily seen from 20-30 feet away, and it blows in the wind....put a flag every 12-15 feet.... should work.... the older horse that knows the field will also help....

bobrammer":3kiei4dg said:
I have two paint weanlings that I have kept penned for a couple of weeks to get them used to me. I'd like to turn them out in the pasture now. I was told that I need to lead them around the property before letting them out. I have 42 acres, so that's a pretty good hike times 2. Is this really necessary?
Many thanks for your input! Bob

I personally would walk them around the pasture, or saddle another horse and pony them. The reason being is that you have established a bond with them and they trust you to some degree. That will go a long ways towards providing these new horses with a security line and a little assurance in strange surroundings - especially since they are weanlings and usually have mush for brains and no practical experience with much of anything - and might just be the ticket to keep them from flying into a panic. Tying 'flags' on your fence might just be the ticket to scare them into a full blown panic and get them hurt. Just my thoughts.

I've had good luck by feeding them in the morning and just opening the gate while they are eating. When they're finished they just kind of wander out.No muss No fuss and they have all day too learn the boundries. If you take them out and lead them around the boundry is still set by the lead rope not the fence. This place (home) and our mare pastures are both fenced with 5 strands of barb-wire and we've never had a wire cut. Well we did have one OTTB mare but she was the type that could find a way to tear herself up in a rubber room. I swear that horse could colic just by taking a deep breath.Z

Latest posts