I need some help.....

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
Can anybody identify this type of duck?

100_0496.jpg

They showed up on my job-site about a month ago. I have searched every website I can think of, and I can't find anything that comes close.

A closer picture would help. To me they look like a ruddy shelduck

dun":3porogsm said:

Dun, Oh Wise One.

I cannot begin to tell you what a relief it is to finally know what these are. It says they are from Asia and Europe. Don't know how or why they ended up in Baton Rouge, but now at least I know what they are.

warpaint":orus2d39 said:
dun":orus2d39 said:

Dun, Oh Wise One.

I cannot begin to tell you what a relief it is to finally know what these are. It says they are from Asia and Europe. Don't know how or why they ended up in Baton Rouge, but now at least I know what they are.
I've seen a few poeple that had them as exotics. Maybe a duck park near you had an escape.
The asia thing what was threw me too. I had thought maybe fulvous tree duck at first but the body shape isn;t right

We've got Black-bellied Whistleing Ducks around here.. They roost in trees!! Kind of tame for a wild duck.

oscar p":o14vcwx9 said:
I think their egyptain geese.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Egyptian_Goose
oscar I think you maybe right, as I said before the necks look to long for the typical ruddy. There are a few families of ruddies in the Park near by me, when we go with the children to feed the ducks, they are scared of the ruddies as they chase you if they have young, they have a nasty nip one caught me on the backside, that did make the children laugh.

chrisy":2uyuwoh0 said:
oscar p":2uyuwoh0 said:
I think their egyptain geese.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/Egyptian_Goose
oscar I think you maybe right, as I said before the necks look to long for the typical ruddy. There are a few families of ruddies in the Park near by me, when we go with the children to feed the ducks, they are scared of the ruddies as they chase you if they have young, they have a nasty nip one caught me on the backside, that did make the children laugh.

That would have made me laugh too. Mater of fact I'm laughing now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cal

Can't tell you what they are but they are definetly not egyptians-egyptians have a very distinct dark patch of feathers on the chest as well as tan/brown patches over the eyes. I would think they look more goose than duck even though there is a similarity to the ruddy shelduck.

warpaint":3njlbjji said:
Ya'll just tryin to confuse me now. Dun said they were ruddy's and thats what they are in my book!! :D
I said they look like ruddy Shelducks to me. They sure aren't a ruddy duck

dun":1j1qo9ol said:
warpaint":1j1qo9ol said:
Ya'll just tryin to confuse me now. Dun said they were ruddy's and thats what they are in my book!! :D

Thats what I meant to say. I Googled em, and the pic was exactly like what I've been looking at out my office window.

warpaint":1kxqtftj said:
dun":1kxqtftj said:
warpaint":1kxqtftj said:

Thats what I meant to say. I Googled em, and the pic was exactly like what I've been looking at out my office window.
well don't get to close, as they nip. perhaps that's why they are called ruddie ducks. :mad: :lol2: