How much acerage per animal?

Help Support CattleToday:

Irishred

Reaction score
With serious consideration of a milk cow, I have been looking into some other aspects of a family farm like chickens, goats and beef cows (also considering a horse or two but not sure on that). For a family of 6 or 7, what would you suggest we look at for numbers of animals and how many acres would we need to mainly self support them? Of course extras that could be sold off to (hopefully) cover expenses every year as well but a mainly self sufficient kinda back to basics type family farm. East TN Smokies used to be a farming area but tourists are trying to take over the mountains. :(

Anyway, what would you suggest as for number of acres for crops and animals/kinds?

BTW I am really liking some of the red (I assume) Angus our neighbor farm owner has. Something about them is just pretty.This coming from a natural red head LOL. Are they an easy breed to work with?

Irishred":wa1m2gk6 said:
With serious consideration of a milk cow, I have been looking into some other aspects of a family farm like chickens, goats and beef cows (also considering a horse or two but not sure on that). For a family of 6 or 7, what would you suggest we look at for numbers of animals and how many acres would we need to mainly self support them? Of course extras that could be sold off to (hopefully) cover expenses every year as well but a mainly self sufficient kinda back to basics type family farm. East TN Smokies used to be a farming area but tourists are trying to take over the mountains. :(

Anyway, what would you suggest as for number of acres for crops and animals/kinds?

BTW I am really liking some of the red (I assume) Angus our neighbor farm owner has. Something about them is just pretty.This coming from a natural red head LOL. Are they an easy breed to work with?
for a family your size youd need 1 milk cow.you would need 2acs pre cow more or less.so if you have 10acs you could have 5 cows.youd need 15 hens depending on how meny eggs you use in a day or week.with a fam of 7 i bet you use 10 eggs a day.

Thank you Bigbull.

We have 6 in the family but my mom comes to visit a lot, one is a teen, and the others can eat almost as much as he does at times. Buying eggs, we usually use about 1-2 dozen a week, sometimes more sometimes less. Sure we could use more if we tried - like that would be hard. But I'm not sure we would use 10 a day, at least not every day unless we change breakfast habits. So with your information, I think 5-8 chickens might do us at least to start.

Does the 2 acres per cow include crops for hay and such or just pasture? ... yes: how would you divide it?; no: how much more for crops?
What about for goats? I would like to have a couple for milk either with the cow or instead of. Not sure yet.

ETA: I know I have seen a few posts that recommend some books but they seem to be on just one subject. Would that be best or are there any good ones that include multi- animal information for what I am planning?

Thank you.

Assuming your pasture is of decent quality, I agree that you can get by on 2 acres per cow. You have a large family, so 1 dairy cow would be a wise investment, seeing where milk prices are heading.

The chickens can free range or be put into a fenced run, either way, you need to figure out how many eggs you use per week. Not all hens will lay everyday so keep that in mind. We have some that do and some that don't. Say on average with 5 hens you'll get 2-3 eggs a day. And like I said, you may get 5 eggs a day and maybe only 1.

I have zero experience with goats. Been told they are VERY hard to contain and will climb over or find a way to get underneath just about anything in their way.

As far as horses go, what do you plan on doing with them? Will they be just pasture ornaments or working animals? Frankly, I'm not a big horse fan. In my opinion and this is just my opinion.....they just eat up grass and hay that would be better served to cattle.

I think your idea of a family farm is wonderful. Good luck!

depending on where you are.you need 1 to 2acs for hay for each cow/horse.how meny acres do you have.it might be best to buy hay if you can get it cheap enough.

justacouplemore":2flv50pl said:
As far as horses go, what do you plan on doing with them? Will they be just pasture ornaments or working animals? Frankly, I'm not a big horse fan. In my opinion and this is just my opinion.....they just eat up grass and hay that would be better served to cattle.

I think your idea of a family farm is wonderful. Good luck!

As far as gas prices go, I think the horses would make a very good investment............

Latest posts