horses and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
hi, im 17 years old and i run 20 head of cattle and getting more grass and thinking of running stocker cattle. There is also a guy here in town that has a couple of horses and just had heart surgury and is wondering if i want to take a couple to ride for him just wodering if they are good ideas or not.

Thanks a bunch, Tom

I have my cow and horse together, no problem yet. I am VERY carefull of worms though, and have a stool sample checked every 3-4 months on each of them. I think it depends on the animals though weather they will tolerate eachother or not.

Horses are for pleasure, cows are for profit.
If you want something for pleasure buy something you don,t have to feed when your not useing it.
Horses will take away grass you need for your cows, thus decreaseing any profit you will ever hope to gain.
Wait on the horses until you have deep pockets and have money to burn.
Sorry, been there done that.

the guy said he would pay for hay and grain. i've got an extra pen around to keep the horse in. The horse is a gelding and is broke to do cattle work.

arterburncattle":1gtdy80x said:
the guy said he would pay for hay and grain. i've got an extra pen around to keep the horse in. The horse is a gelding and is broke to do cattle work.

Assuming the horse is not an escape artist, and not a renegade, I don't see where you have anything to lose. Assuming you know how to ride, have the time, and can provide a safe environent, what's the problem with doing the guy a favor by keeping his horse(s) ridden down?

I don't know man...riding somebody's else's horses may seen like a good idea but why not put the miles on your own horses. The way I see it you are giving this guy free pasture and free training. By the end of the summer, you will have some good horses on your hands then you got to give em up..get your own horses and work them, not somebody elses.

novatech":1t02lpbv said:
If you want something for pleasure buy something you don,t have to feed when your not useing it.
Horses will take away grass you need for your cows, thus decreaseing any profit you will ever hope to gain.
you only get to live once . if you like horses then have at it. dont wait till you are older and wish you had. like the song says.... its better to ride even if you get thrown.. than to wind up just wish'in you had. ;-)

ALACOWMAN":2n2l6sjh said:
novatech":2n2l6sjh said:
you only get to live once . if you like horses then have at it. dont wait till you are older and wish you had. like the song says.... its better to ride even if you get thrown.. than to wind up just wish'in you had. ;-)

Amen, Novatech. Go for it, Afterburn. My horses are like family and they do a lot for me. I don't even own a 4-wheeler, Gator, Mule, Ranger, Workhorse or any other type of ATV. I enjoy checking and moving my cattle on horseback.

Latest posts