Hogs???

Help Support CattleToday:

sben222

Reaction score
How do you determine when a gilt is in heat? I know it's not a beef question but do you know??

I am assuming that the gilt is out side. If she is the way that we did it at Auburn was to turn her out and let her walk by the boar pen, if she stop and backed up to the pen she was in heat. Also you can walk up behind her and press down at the top of her rump if she stands, then she is ready to breed.

Auburn_Ag

Auburn_Ag":2g529niz said:
I am assuming that the gilt is out side. If she is the way that we did it at Auburn was to turn her out and let her walk by the boar pen, if she stop and backed up to the pen she was in heat. Also you can walk up behind her and press down at the top of her rump if she stands, then she is ready to breed.

Auburn_Ag

And they won't try to kick you if your standing behind them and push down on their rump?

No they wont kick, besides its a hog, it wouldn't hurt if she did.
she will do one of two things, stand or run off.

what kind is she and how many do you have?

Auburn_Ag":4qwwqdlx said:

Actually, I'm a butcher. I know that it not the time to butcher them if they are in heat, so I want to be able to determine when I should or should'nt butcher them if they are gilts. By the way, I appreciate your input. I am starting my new shop and trying to educate myself with all the particulars of the trade!

sben222":2zlmmgjs said:
Auburn_Ag":2zlmmgjs said:

Actually, I'm a butcher. I know that it not the time to butcher them if they are in heat, so I want to be able to determine when I should or should'nt butcher them if they are gilts. By the way, I appreciate your input. I am starting my new shop and trying to educate myself with all the particulars of the trade!

I feel that there are others that might give you a little bit better info, but nevertheless I am glad i could help! I also worked at the Auburn meats lab for 2 years while I was in school, so I have a interest in cutting meat as well.

As far as Matt S
Thats funny! :lol:

Auburn_Ag has it right. Get her near a boar (like in the next pen) and put some pressure on her back. If she's in heat, she'll stand.

Lordosis? I think is what its called when they stand. TNT where are you from? As I am from SE Idaho as well.

First sign of heat is a noticably swollen vulva, if you press down, or ride on her back as the other posters have suggested, she will stand still with 'pricked up' ears if on standing heat. You will want to wait five days after standing heat for the uterine blood flow to return to normal.
Hope this helps-Andy.

Latest posts