HELP PLEASE!

Help Support CattleToday:

4-H_Kid07

Reaction score
This is going to be my first year showing cattle. I am showing at my county fair. I am going to have 2 beef steers and a dairy steer. Yeah I know alot for a first year.I was wondering in anyof you could give me anything and everything. Hits, tips everything. I have got them halter trained they are walking fine. Everything is good. I need tips for the ring and such. Thanks
Justin
P.S. I will hopefully have pics up tommorow if I have a snowday. But I will try so check back.

one thing that i have noticed is that people who first start showing tend to be hesitant to look the judge in the eye you need to have that cofidence to do that

There are numerous websites that have TONS of information for juniors. I will try to find them and post them tommorrow. Nice to see interest in cattle up in the North East.

Thanks. I just wanted to let you know that I am 15 right now and I will be turning 16 at my county fair so I will be showing in the Senior class. Even thought it is my first year.
And I have another question. I was walking on of my steers and the thing decided it was time to run. So I went for a ride. It draged me like 50 yards. But I got right back up and stated working w/it again and it hasnt draged me since b/c I got a halter w/ a chain under neith it. Was that the right thing to do? Get up and start working w/ it again? I think so but I am not sure.

4-H_Kid07":3fkhzdj6 said:
Thanks. I just wanted to let you know that I am 15 right now and I will be turning 16 at my county fair so I will be showing in the Senior class. Even thought it is my first year.
And I have another question. I was walking on of my steers and the thing decided it was time to run. So I went for a ride. It draged me like 50 yards. But I got right back up and stated working w/it again and it hasnt draged me since b/c I got a halter w/ a chain under neith it. Was that the right thing to do? Get up and start working w/ it again? I think so but I am not sure.
You did very good to get up and start working it again. If you had walked away that calf would have remembered it got it's own way by running. If the chain on the halter is what you need to control it, and the chain is not modified to hurt the calf, then that's the kind of halter to use for that calf at this time. Try walking the calf in a smaller area if it still tries to take off running.

When it draged me I was going to load it into the trailer. Because we were going to weight them at a friends house(he pulls horses so he has a scale).But other that than that I do walkem in a small pen. Once in a while I take them out but he hasnt run again. Thanks for all your help.

I have 2 kids that show. Here are some tips:

Always keep one eye on the judge.
Always keep your animal between you and the judge.
If the judge ruffles the hair on your animal (and they sometimes will), pull out your curry and fix it.
After the show, always remember to thank your judge for taking the time to judge the show. You might even ask him if he has any suggestions for improvement.

4-H is a great thing! Best of Luck!

also...

depending on how the stalls are set up at your county fair, you may want to consider a security neck rope for your calf in case it slips out of its halter while tied. We had one do that last year. She just decided to take a walk. A couple years ago a nice cow got away from a girl at the fair. She took a tour through town and lived in a bean field for a few months before she was finally found.

it is allright we had a calf one time drag a 350lbs pound guy about 200 yds in about a foot of snow you always want to end on a good note with the calf make sure he is doing good before you let him go

Bowie FFA has a website that might be helpful. Some older posts on this showboard has helpful tips from other people who show cattle.

http://www.angus.org/pubs/Showing.pdf <- Good info on fitting, clipping, and getting ready to show

NALF used to have a great paper on showmanship...but I cant find it...so http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/an_sci/extensi ... efshow.htm <- this showmanship info is pretty good.

Just keep working with them, sounds like it is going good.

My tips would be...
-Dont slouch
-Look the Judge in the Eye
-Always give the judge the best veiw of your animal
-Always look happy (no, this doesnt mean that you have to have a smile on...just dont look dissapointed or bored)
-Be alert and follow the Judges Requests

I agree with mom to 4, neck ties are a must at shows.