Hauling cattle and life lessons learned...

Help Support CattleToday:

Update on 106:

She delivered a stillborn calf today. Vet came and pulled him. Dad said it was a big bull and his front legs were buckled under him on the way out. Hopefully that was what had her down. Don't know if he was fully baked or if she aborted him to save herself. Hopefully we'll find her up and around tomorrow.

Good story, good thread. Had a good cup of coffee while reading it. I'm about ready to run into town to the cafe for some breakfast.

Just curious: what's your plan for getting those guys OUT of that pasture when you're ready to bring'em home?

Ruark":cn4ieih6 said:
Good story, good thread. Had a good cup of coffee while reading it. I'm about ready to run into town to the cafe for some breakfast.

Just curious: what's your plan for getting those guys OUT of that pasture when you're ready to bring'em home?
I'ld put that with the teddy kennedy quote "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it Maryjo"

Todd, I know how you feel as I started about 12 years ago not knowing a whole hell of a lot. This site and some classes from the agrilife people helped me out but there is still lots to learn. I live South of Ft Worth and run my cows east of Waco so I travel right by your place almost every weekend. PM me and I can help you out if you get in a bind or you just need someone to stop by and check on your animals. Maybe we can help each other out from time to time as my wife is usually my only help. Good Luck

I'm not a vet, but I would say she is down from calving paralysis. You said it was a big calf and the calf presses on a nerve, which is the cause.

It does help if you can lift her 3 times a day for half an hour each. You do this with a device that fits over the hips and lift with a Front End Loader.

Other than that keep up the food and water to her and I will send healing hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmsssssssssssssssss that she gets up fine for you.

It probably wasn't a problem back in May, but with the drought and heat conditions haveing stressed the Johnson grass by now it may produce Prussic acid when it gets rained on which would be a bad thing for his herd if that was the only thing they had to eat. If that is the case I think I might want to have the trailers ready to move them off of it fast if a good rain is forcasted.

Only in ranching could a good rain be your worst enemy in a drought. Go figure.

www.uaex.edu/Other_Areas/publications/PDF/FSA-3069.pdf

Latest posts