Good starter bit?

Help Support CattleToday:

MrGale

Reaction score
I have a 3 1/2 year old donkey jennet that i am goijng to try to get under saddle soon. I was considering using a jeramiah watt eggbutt sweet iron snafle bit at first to see how she will do with it. Am i nuts or what? Any ideas and experience welcome !!!!
many thanks in advance
Robert Seddon (Mr Gale)

MrGale":2xuk7xsp said:
I have a 3 1/2 year old donkey jennet that i am goijng to try to get under saddle soon. I was considering using a jeramiah watt eggbutt sweet iron snafle bit at first to see how she will do with it. Am i nuts or what? Any ideas and experience welcome !!!!
many thanks in advance
Robert Seddon (Mr Gale)

The eggbutt snaffle would be a good choice for a young animal, but why would you pay 70.00 for the Jeremiah Watt brand when you can do a search and get a sweet iron eggbutt snaffle for 13.50?

When first bitting up and starting a young horse or mule I prefer a D-ring because of you are less likely to pull it thru their mouths if they start gaping. But with any snaffle bit in training I alway use a curb strap for the same reason. Most of the time it's just a piece of leather boot lace but heck I've used baling twine to. At that stage it ain't about pretty.Z

Thanks to all who have answered!! I like the curb strap idea.... and the it ain't pretty" comment, just where did you see ME ride ? :D

One thing I didn't think about before. You may need to hunt for a bit with a smaller mouthpiece. 4-4 1/2 inch. A standard 5" horse size bit may be to big for her.Z

She has a big ol' head, I'd bet 5" will work. I can see Robert out there trying to measure her mouth...I wouldn't be able to (Dicey just puts up with me) but I bet she will let Robert do it.

MillIronQH":196oanxo said:
One thing I didn't think about before. You may need to hunt for a bit with a smaller mouthpiece. 4-4 1/2 inch. A standard 5" horse size bit may be to big for her.Z

thanks milliron, am going to get a 4 1/2 inch sweetiron dee snaffle too just in case, watch her turn out to be a 4 3/4 when i measure her tomorrow....smile....good excuse to go to the tack place....pls don't let gale see this one.... :oops:

Latest posts