Glad

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
I'm sure glad I raise Red Polls.......If I had to try and figure out all the Angus CCS stuff it would make my head hurt.

Just reading through the posts it seems like it will be awhile before anything is really figured out.

Jovid":2jhag07f said:
I'm sure glad I raise Red Polls.......If I had to try and figure out all the Angus CCS stuff it would make my head hurt.

Just reading through the posts it seems like it will be awhile before anything is really figured out.

I agree. We have been fortunate this time. It is nice to know the black premium is likely to go away.

HerefordSire":3t36dzbf said:
I agree. We have been fortunate this time. It is nice to know the black premium is likely to go away.
Why would it go away based on this?

I agree. We have been fortunate this time. It is nice to know the black premium is likely to go away. [/quote]

I've been lectured over and over again on this board that there's no such thing as a black premium. Are you actually agreeing that black calves get more than herefords right now?

dun":170zfzol said:
HerefordSire":170zfzol said:
Why would it go away based on this?

Reduction in purchases greater than the reduced healthy supply related to emotional financial decisions.

angus9259":3cnrcd7h said:

I've been lectured over and over again on this board that there's no such thing as a black premium. Are you actually agreeing that black calves get more than herefords right now?[/quote]

I am not sure about right now at this exact moment, but when I recently liquidated some red white face cross calves along with some black white face calves, you can clearly see on the sales ticket they were discounted.

angus9259":2z26j6qj said:

I've been lectured over and over again on this board that there's no such thing as a black premium. Are you actually agreeing that black calves get more than herefords right now?[/quote]

I know for a fact at the Tulsa Stockyards the herefords and reds do not bring what the blacks do.. the set-in price is always lower if it aint black.

VanC":2luywmyb said:
Couldn't this type of thing happen in any breed?

Exactly, dwarfism shot Hereford and Angus in the foot in the 50s and 60s, prolapses hit some lines of Herefords hard in the 60s-80s, "mule foot" historically has shown up in the Angus and Holstein breeds, Nick the Butler lineages of Polled Herefords got his with hypotrichosis in the 90s, in the last decade the Line Ones have been forced to deal with Idiopathic Epilepsy, the Maines, the Shorthorns, and the Club calves have been hit with the double whammy of TH (tibial hemimelia) and PHA (pulmonary hypoplasia with anasarca), and now Angus is feeling the titanic effects of Arthrogryposis Multiplex (formerly the condition known as Curly Calf Syndrome). These kinds of things are ticking time bombs in any breed. Every breed probably has carriers for SOMETHING. At some point in time that lineage will become popular and get heavily multiplied then that lethal recessive will get expressed. In a small breed like Red Poll IF it happens it could do a lot more damage than in a large breed like Angus because of the already limited gene pool.

I don't know about a black premium, but when I was in 4-H it always seemed like black steers always placed ahead of colored..and in the case of simmental heifers, black ones would always place over red ones...not sure why, maybe just a coincidence, but it sure happened a lot. I really don't think the Angus industry is going to suffer too much as a result of CCS...I know it hasn't affected our herd at all. Plus, the general public isn't hearing a lot about it, so they are going to continue to buy Certified Angus Beef. Just my thoughts.

Latest posts